ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Surgical Outcomes and Blogs (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/)
-   -   5 yrs post-surgery - another segment 'severe stenosis' (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/2277-5-yrs-post-surgery-another-segment-severe-stenosis.html)

janrad 05-04-2012 04:28 PM

5 yrs post-surgery - another segment 'severe stenosis'

Hi All, I'm new...and very worried. It had fusion for severe spinal stenosis L4-5 in 2007. And surprise! Now L3-4 has the same diagnosis (severe SS), and L5-6 has a big ol' annular tear. I live in a medium sized town (Eugene OR) not know for innovative medicine, and I know the surgeon's going to recommend conventional fusion for yet another segment. I have to wait another week to see him. In the mean time, I'm trying to explore my options. Fellow back warriors were my saving grace last time. Anybody have some helpful suggestions. Trying not to despair....I'm so young for this old person's affliction :-) Thanks everybody.

jsewell 05-04-2012 04:50 PM

Hi and Welcome,
Sorry this is happening at a young age to you. I feel the same way and i am 54. I have been going through back problems for a number of years now. I can offer no advice i am fused from C-4 thru L-4 and now looking at a possible longer fusion to L5!
My bone density is bad and i keep getting spinal fractures so i have not even considered an artificial disk replacement.
Even though i am in this bad of shape , i do still go hiking on a regular basis. Just take some pain meds before!!
I hope you get the help you are looking for.
judy

mmglobal 05-04-2012 09:11 PM

Hi Janrad... welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here.

5 years then adjacent segment disease sounds like a very common scenario. Can your surgeons offer ADR or other motion preservation technology that may reduce the odds of more domino effect?

Sadly, insurance reimbursement issues still rule the day with ADR decisions.

Many of us self pay for surgery, both in the US and overseas. I just got back from Germany with 3 clients. My wife and I have had our last 4 spine surgeries over there. That does not sound like a great recommendation... but SOME (not all) clinics over there provide the best possibe solutions that are available today.

Good luck with your research. Please keep us posted.

All the best,

Mark

janrad 05-04-2012 11:17 PM

Thanks

Thank you Mark. Thank you Judy. It's so good just to know I'm not alone in the struggle. I really appreciate your encouragement and will keep reading and learning. Thx again.

mountainwizard 05-08-2012 05:56 AM

In my limited experience Germany is Excellent!

Hello

I went to Stenum in Germany about 5 years ago and got very good results with 2 ADRs and a soft Fusion. Total cost including a traveling companion, surgery, etc was less then $50,000 US. Then I slipped about 2 years later and now have several spinal problems. Good news was that all the work I had in Germany is still intact and functioning well.

I recommend Germany if you can get there and pay for the work.
At this time I do not believe that I can make the trip due to my current physical circumstances.

If I could do the airplane flight I would have had the surgeries there already.