Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Prodisc in the Main forums forums; I think ADR is a pipe dream! Even if it works most of the time its short lived! If it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Default Prodisc

I think ADR is a pipe dream! Even if it works most of the time its short lived! If it fails you will be in worst pain forever. My 2 cents!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Default Mabey

Dam if you do damed if you dont only time will tell technology is getting better, and that is what they said about knees???

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 PM

As far as technology goes, my knees aren't too bad, but let me tell you my hip replacement was awesome. Best surgery going , just as long as you get a hip surgeon to do it.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Default re surgery

I don't know what to think re more surgery for anything tho I do think the spine is the hardest predicable surgerical endeavor I've been thru re knee, foot, spine, and other body parts. It's like maybe it will work and maybe it won't. That'd be Ok tho getting worse is really tough to deal with. That's what happened w/my 2nd spine surgery and kept me for going for a 3rd UNLESS I absolutely couldn't stand it anymore.

Good luck to anyone about to undergo any level of spine surgery or any surgery for that matter (even plastic surgery)!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Thumbs up 2 prodiscs here

Pipe dream? some are success stories some are not, just like fusion some never take & some fail, there are no guarantees, surgery is risky business. I'm having my 10th year anniversary post op, i was in the trials, i'm doing pretty darn good so it is possible. The surgery was rough, i will admit this, my recovery was long, but I had my problem for a very long time. I'm still 75%better than I was before the prodiscs, i have some other medical issues now, but my prodisc surgery is still holding strong. I have spoken to others where the situation isn't good and the ADR surgery made things worse, this can happen with any surgery, as far as a pipe dream, not really, it just gives us spineys another choice, besides fusion
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM

Default For sure

[quote=nomorepain;16785]Pipe dream? some are success stories some are not, just like fusion some never take & some fail, there are no guarantees, surgery is risky business. I'm having my 10th year anniversary post op, i was in the trials, i'm doing pretty darn good so it is possible. The surgery was rough, i will admit this, my recovery was long, but I had my problem for a very long time. I'm still 75%better than I was before the prodiscs, i have some other medical issues now, but my prodisc surgery is still holding strong. I have spoken to others where the situation isn't good and the ADR surgery made things worse, this can happen with any surgery, as far as a pipe dream, not really, it just gives us spineys another choice, besides fusion[/QUOTNNNNNNN

Last edited by zfontana; 06-01-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

I am also 10 years post-op this year. The ADR surgery was the best thing I have ever done. I have been saying since I was 6 months out.... "If I go bad tomorrow, it was worth it!!!"

I know literally hundreds of ADR patients. Yes... there are horrible failures as there are for all spine surgeries, but for the most part; the stories are good.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM

Default Postop fusion over a Pro disc level L 4- L5

It's been eight months and 10 days since my fusion over the pro-disc. As of lately I've been making some progress. I've been bed ridden for a year and a half since my pro-disc surgery. I found I can sit and eat dinner without to much pain. I couldn't walk a half mile after the prodisc but after the fusion over the pro-disc surgery I can walk about a mile a day. I still have pain when sleeping but I can tolerate sleeping good 6 to 8 hours a night. Prior to surgery I would be up for days from the pain until I was so exhausted I passed out and most mornings I wake up crying in pain. I feel stable once again, presurgery I would lose my balance quite often which was very scary. My surgeon could not promise me a number on the pain reduction but his goal was to make me stable without removing the pro-disc but he will if im still not stable. So far my progress has been fair. It's nice to walk without agony. It's amazing that I can finally sit up what seems like no big deal was almost impossible. I know I'll never be the same as if I just would've had a fusion off the get go. But so far I regained back some of the things I took for granted. I had my x-ray images and Dr. seems to be happy with his work. I hope I still keep improving within the next year. I'm hoping that I fuse and if I do fuse properly or as well as can be expected with this type of procedure. I would imagine I'll even get better after joints stop moving. I'm just hoping there's no complications like bone growing over a nerves. My orthopedic surgeon was highly recommended and very creative. He also on our first meeting was stunned that a doctor would put a pro-disc in with the level of facet joint disease that I had. Prior to my pro-disc surgery I was never informed that I had moderate facet joint disease, not by my orthopedic surgeon or the MRI report. The sad part is I never would've risked getting a pro-disc with moderate facet joint disease. Regardless if my joints were not the culprit, I just would not chance it. I would imagine I'll have back pain the rest my life but going from a 10 hopefully after it's fused to a five or six I could live with. For now I will just have to enjoy the little improvements that have been made.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM

I am happy for you with the improvement you have had. I hope it keeps getting better. I too, will always have back pain , just as you said trying to keep the level as low as possible is the plan
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 PM

Default re surgery getting better and time

I hope everyone gets better! I didn't have a 3rd spine surgery and I'm happy about that. I don't have any idea how much better I could have been tho I am very happy with how much better I am from where I was post failed discectomy in 1992 thru about 2005! I am still on a low dose opioid pain medication daily tho that's really it... otherwise I can walk and walk and walk tho I have posterior tibial tendonitis in both feet so that limits me and I'm not good at sitting tho better than I used to be most definately.

I thought I was autofused at L5S1 tho after seeing my OSS and having recent xrays he said my facets are autofused at that level and hence the reduction of pain~ whatever~ I'll take it!!!!

I started on this spine journey back nearly 30 years ago. Life hasn't been easy tho it's improved and I am thankful for that. I still have flare ups tho few and far between (esp. with my new tatami platform bedding).

For those that had ADR and improved as much as they did I'm still wow-ed and for those that had fusion and improved I'm wow-ed too... for those that have had failed surgeries and/or continuing difficulties I just hope that better days are coming.

Best spiney wishes for all! Maria
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Zfontana, and others,

Zfontana, sorry that you had a surgeon who put in an ADR when it was directly contraindicated.

IMHO, I think anyone who is going to have major spine surgery needs to really know what they are getting into. They should know the contraindications for the surgery they are having and have reasonable expectations for the outcome.
They should know the possible complications for their surgery.
This is what informed consent is about.

Surgery should never be taken lightly and I believe there are no "minor" operations. There are no guarantees with any surgery. Doctors are not perfect and they can make mistakes. They do.

I am living the pipe dream I guess. March is my anniversary month for my surgery. It has been five years since I got a ProDisc at L4/5. The recovery was tough but I do not regret having surgery. It took me out of the awful pain cycle I was in.

I fought hard to get the surgery I knew was the best one for me and my surgeon thought it was the best, too. One orthopedic surgeon I saw, wanted to do fusion. I asked him what were the chances of success, he told me about 65 percent. Those are not great odds.

I am forever grateful that I ended up with my surgeon after getting several opinions about what to do with my back.

I hope everyone gets as good of a recovery as me or even a better one.

Cheers,

Runner
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 AM

Default pros and cons

there are good and bad outcomes in all surgeries. don't count out artificial discs as a temporary fix, i've gone almost 11yrs and they are still in great shape, how do I know, no more pain and no more back problems. you definetly need to be aware of the procedure before you and educate yourself and be involved in your care, but don't count it out, it's another option, sometimes we are asked to take a risk, i know i did, i'm was in the trials, we are here today talking about these things because of those who took the risk.