Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Surgery August 2nd 2012 in the Main forums forums; I have been debating about posting anything as i am in such a down mood. But 3 weeks ago i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Default Surgery August 2nd 2012

I have been debating about posting anything as i am in such a down mood. But 3 weeks ago i had a revision of T-12 thru L-4 , then a fusion of L4-5. My surgeon said all went well.. I had 2 fractures to fix in that mess.
Until i woke up , that is. I was in so much pain, unbelievable pain. First someone forgot to give me a pain pump. So a call that night to my doctor, that i made, resolved that issue in minutes. After suffering all day.
Next i really am in pain, lots of it. When physical therapy came the next morning i realized how bad it was. I could not put any weight on my right leg without excrutiating pain. Had steroids, ct, then steroid injections, all this gave me maybe a 10% improvement from almost nothing.
So after a week , I came home with instructions to call my surgeon first thing Monday morning with any progress. Well , none made. I only got out of bed to pee. Lucky i could do that. My kids are my caretakers and do an ok job as i am an easy patient. Ice water, food once in a while....
My surgeon;s decision was more surgery as i cannot stay like this. Unfortunately, i do not know exactly what his plan is, couldn't quite get it over the phone. He said he will explain more in person.
I have now been home 2 weeks (3 weeks out from surgery) and still cannot put weight on my right leg, my left doesn't feel too well either. All the way down to my toes. I am miserable. I am very impatient waiting for my insurance company to approve this. I can't sleep , as i can't lay down too painful. I take pain meds and wait an hour to go to the bathroom. I time my every other day showers when i have to get upstairs.
Did i mention i was miserable? Pain meds i guess are barely touching the pain. Why would they , i have been on them for chronic pain for 4 years and nothing was added to cover the surgery or intense nerve pain.

Time for my daily phone call to see if progress has been made on my approval. Thanks for listening.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Default re auth

Hey Judy,
Just hoping you hear something soon. Can't understand why something wasn't added for the nerve related pain unless whatever could be prescribed would interact with other meds you're taking or perhaps thought to zombie you out too much which at this point with all your difficulties with weight bearing might not be a bad thing. Then again you're one that could absolutely not afford a fall at this time.

Wish I lived closer so I could help you.. I'm very mobile now. Back to walking, rode my bike and so forth. Had to use the nasal inhalation form of Toradol twice a bit over a week ago. It didn't burn so much as it really increased my appetite. I've never had that with Toradol injections and it also gave me belly bloat and epigastric pain. So even tho it did work to get me out of the severe spasms I was in ... I'd prefer the injection any day!

I guess asking how your feet are doing is unimportant considering you're hardly weight bearing. Hope your surgeon called and explained everything to you and that you're able to do the things you absolutely have to do. Too bad you just can't be a direct admit and have the work up for surgery done in house (hospital). That is if everything is authorized for surgery.

take care and please keep us posted. Maria
Old 08-31-2012, 04:32 AM

Thanks Maria,
Saw my surgeon for pre op #2 today.
well that is pre op #2 within a month. spine surgery # 9 i think. Surgery is Sept 10th. i am doing my hospital pre op this saturday. hard to fit it in with my 2 driving children in college. My youngest has not started high school yet and has not faced the music . Soon, i hope.
I am now using a wheelchair to get around the bottom of the house, i have all but abandoned going upstairs . Only on very important occasions when I decide to shower. Just not worth the pain i decided today. I at times cannot put any weight on my right leg/foot. Sometimes it also hurts like crazy just anywhere , just can't get comfortable. Therefore , I cannot sleep. Mostly every night. At my x-ray today it showed that all my lower screws from the surgery at beginning of this month are pulling out. On Septembers surgery they will remove the very loose screws and some up further up. Then find some way to connect them to the sacrum level. If this does not work, he will have to go in from the front to stabilize the lumbar spine. uUUGGHH
I really can't do anything for myself and am totally relying on my 3 kids who are still living at home. Today is 4 weeks out from the surgery and 3 weeks at home not being able to walk.
I have been assured by my surgeon that i will be able to walk once this next surgery is over. He told his assistant if anything happened where their is an opening in his schedule to call me in . For now I just lay down and wait!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Default after surgery

Judy,
Will you be going back home to your old home or new home or do you think you'll go to a rehab facility the first few weeks? It sounds so terribly painful to not find any comfortable position tho I have been there before.. (before pain meds were prescribed for me at all post my failed 2nd spine surgery).

Did the doctor say why the screws are pulling out so soon after your last surgery? Not that it matters because they are tho just wondering.

I'm soo tired trying to get back into shape after being off my feet on a regular basis such as being active around the new place, unpacking, walking the dog, and trying to walk for excercise. Even with good sleep. I think I was pretty much off my feet (at least at my regular pace) since I had the foot surgery so that's been about 3 months?

Maybe it's the heat too as I still don't like to turn on the a/c since my one cat is so sick with renal failure and can't regulate his body temperature well. Yesterday was hot and sticky here. Made me really miss the ocean breezes at night altho I've been told it's been hot and sticky in LB too just not so sure about at night..

Hope you'll get a call for a sooner opening for surgery (someone else's cancellation) and if not that you can endure the next 10 days or so. Best with all~ Maria
Old 09-02-2012, 05:06 AM

I/;ve had problems with screws loose in my head too. Cervical spine!!! But those did not sit on the longest nerve in my body. Thankfully. I used to get some sharp jolts from them, but they have lessened and haven't felt any in my restless couch potato state.
See my bone density is so bad do to lack of growth hormone. I can't go on any of the bone density meds while trying to heal the spine, so i am just stuck.

9 more days unless someone cancels on Friday. I think i can make it now. I had the kids get me a wheelchair , makes life easier when i have to go out . IN the house i use the computer chair and for the stairs crutches. Even a few steps on crutches can be so painful .
So far my offer fell through on the last condo as the appraisal did not come out high enough(i knew it wouldnt , but the owner had said she would come down to the appraisal). Now the owner will not budge and in fact raised the price again. ANd a neighbor put hers or his on the market for $20,000 more than that. So we looked at a few houses closer to here, but all i can afford, and barely is a hispanic neighborhood. Their prices are getting up and out of my price range too. I did find one my kids and me liked and is good for the doggies and i put an offer on it today.Well my realtor has it anyway, she forgot to get the check from me. We will see.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Default re houses

I noticed prices seem to be going up a bit? I think some are still coming down tho overall it seems like they are starting to increase tho still there's room for negotiation because the global market is still not good meaning I don't think we are still too good here.

Someone told me today that a unit like mine went for twice what I paid for mine however this one was completely remodeled. Another one similar to mine went for about $15k more and it wasn't remodeled tho could have been the view was better or who knows. Each buyer is different in what they will really want/like or what appeals however bringing a price down low enough to be competitive seems to appeal to everyone.

If I had wanted to buy cash for what I bought this place in Long Beach I was looking at the "other" side of Long Beach blvd. tho still downtown and that's pretty scary to me altho not nearly as bad as North Long Beach. Wow.. not that's bad.

Here it's very serene. Not good for the doggy tho re the coyotes and the cats while they do want to go out on my patio I only let them out there briefly while I'm out there.

Ok bringing this back to your back I'm glad you got a w/c so you can get out and about a bit easier. I would hope you're thinking about a buying a single level place or at least one that would have your bedroom downstairs and a bathroom w/shower too just in case you run into probs in the future. I do love townhouse style condos but I prefer no stairs for when my feet are killing me which has been often enough. Also it just too much for me to lug groceries and laundry upstair (have a little laundry facility right close for only 50 cents a load and drying in free so don't feel the need to be washer/dryer in here).

Ok also lugging cat litter upstairs.. now that was hard and almost always made my neck hurt the next day.

well anyway good luck with this new offer! And wishing you less pain of course and a sooner date for surgery if possible!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Actually this house i am trying to put an offer on now is a one story. 4 bedrooms so everyone gets one for now. Maybe in the future i can have a guest room. 2 full bathrooms which i decided was a requirement. I took Jamie and Tim to see it and they both said, not the best neighborhood, but they like the house. The little one has been too busy as usual to come with us. She will like the closeness of it and she does not want to live in a condo for some reason. So it being a house will make her happy. Almost the whole back is concrete , no grass. Some planters up against the house and one area with wood chips and some trees. The front has the driveway some spaces with pomegranite trees and some small amount of grass which won't stay grass. Jamie had taken a class in zero scaping (sounds like that , but i always get it wrong) so the front will remain the fruit trees and only native plants. No grass cutting for me. The planters around the house may contain veggies. Why not grow something you can eat.

I don't go anywhere.Just out to the hospital and my spine surgeons office . I briefly looked at the condo i was buying and this house with crutches. So painful. Not planning on doing that in the next 8 days. I'm just laying here doing the countdown.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Default wishing you the best!

I do hope you get this house if you all like it that much. I think something has to give when we're looking for our "perfect" home unless we have enough $ to not give a dang about anything which is certainly not my position or wasn't!

Judy I so wish I could help you out.. if there was a way I could get there and just help you pack up dishes or something like that I would. I know if it hadn't been for dh helping me that very last moving day I don't think I would have gotten out of my place on date intended!

If I move again I'll have to plan for packers and movers tho then again that's no time soon hopefully.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for less pain and just the endurance to hang in there till your surgery even if it does get moved up ~ honestly with all I've been thru tho I cannot feel your pain where you have it I can know how I feel when so constrained and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

btw .. walked too much yesterday so right ankle tendonitis is a bit brutal today! UghhhH! Well live to do whatever another day right?!!!!! We will get thru it all somehow someway! hugs, Maria
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM

7 days till surgery and the house is under contract with me. Now the damn inspection and appraisal again. It all that works, it should be ok, but with me, i am never sure. I can't believe i will have done 2 inspections on houses while being in so much pain.
I really haven't looked around this house much. I went on crutches which was brutally painful and now not possible. I don't remember if one of the bedrooms is on the other side of the house from the other 3 or what. Don't remember if it has one dang closet besides in the bedrooms. Hopefully after surgery i will get to walk through it and take some pictures for home.
I have things i have to sell now that certainly won't fit.
did i say it has NO garage! I will have to look into storage spaces. I will be saving $700-800 per month compared to my mortgage. That is good, if it all goes through.,
Sorry about your overdoing it, I will definitely watch that. I hope.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Default re your house

There's probably a lot you didn't get to check out being in so much pain so hopefully the inspection will be helpful there. Is it move in ready as far as you know? I guess if it doesn't have a garage it has a driveway? Is there space on the property to build a garage? How many square feet is it?

I hope you won't overdo it too much after your surgery considering you need to take your time to recover so nothing else happens.

I wore my ankle braces yesterday that I got from my podiatrist which actually help alot. Today my right ankle isn't bothering me tho my left one is because actually I just wore the right brace yesterday! Today I'll either put them both on or wear just the left one. They are rather hot and binding tho hate to wear them inside.

Didn't sleep at all last night and have people coming at 8 a.m. to put in a new countertop, sink, garbage disposal and they will be here nearly all day. Also have a mobile groomer coming to groom Lola at 9a.m. and Winston needs to get his fluids at the Vet's right after the groomer gets here tho I'm so tired I don't think I should be driivng.

Ok take care and hang in there. Almost there now...
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 AM

6 days to go to surgery. I am probably going to be one of the happiest people arriving for surgery. I am so tired of not being able to walk and being in pain. My dishes are all dirty now, the kids do not do a good job of keeping up with things. I'm sure all towels are dirty too.
I think they are believing once i get home from the hospital this time, i will just be ready to take over. Not so or something else will happen to the spine hardware. Then there will be that tired from surgery .
I am starting to worry about the neighborhood now, It really is not the best and does have a sex offender down our street. I am wondering if i have lost my mind by this decision. I know i can still get out of it. I better decide before i write out the check for the appraisal. I took my little one today and she liked the house , hated the neighborhood.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM

Default re house/neighborhood

Judy,
If you don't llike the neighborhood don't buy the house. What was the sex offender crime? I hope not pedophile or forceable rape. I checked that out everywhere I was looking...

I almost bought a condo in SD that I really liked with a great view, garage and everything but the 3rd time I went back to look at the neighborhood and then found out about the father son shooting and killing at the bus stop I was thinking I'd be standing at a lot I said "NO WAY!"

Call the police dept too and ask about the crime reports in that area. Maybe it's safer than it looks but I think if you have doubts now you're not going to feel better later and you're still in a contingency period.

Just the fact that you know there's a sex offender in the area and you have still one younger child at home you can just get out of it.

Keep me posted.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 AM

Hi Maria,
I had called the police and had to wait until after labor day for the officer to return my call. He said it is a changing street in particular. One incident happened at my house, but it was a family dispute and i didn't care about that. I know the house across the street is being flipped and will soon be very nice too. So it is a mix of old and new. If you go in one direction it is better than the other. I'll have to decide soon , very soon.

So i called my pm office first thing Tuesday morning to see about getting a prescription. I am now going to run out soon, like friday night or saturday. Her nurse told me she would talk to the doc and get back to me. Never heard so i called this morning and the doc i knew , was not in on Wed. But no the nurse did not talk to her and just told me she won't give you anything, you have enough. I told her this is agonizing pain and i have had to take them every 4 hours .She still insisted i had enough but agreed to ask her tomorrow. Well she better give me some or i am going to go into withdrawals and be quite miserable when i get to the hospital on Monday at 5:30am I mean that is what their profession is all about. She should realize the increased need. We will see what tomorrow brings
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Default that sucks!

If you're bad enough to have to have another surgery this soon after your last surgery then that alone should explain the circumstances! I HATE gatekeeping BS!!! That really just drives me crazy as from what I"ve seen in some of the PM practices I've been to the RNs working or whatever don't really know what it's like to have pain of any major proportion.

They know what they patients seem like to them but they have no clue themselves so yes we all appear to be drug using drug abusing esp. should we run out early or have a need for a prescription sooner than necessary.

This is why I've kept my PM in SD. He knows I don't get there as often as the scripts should can be refilled and trusts me so he prescribes a certain amount that I "should" be taking a month. In fact I take one third the dose and so I can go at least 6 months on the script written.

In your case you are suffering and according to CA PM patient guidelines for PM there is no reason for that to be happening.

That just sucks! I hope you get the script ASAP!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 AM

I had to call the pm again today as i never heard . THis time they had to count out the pills they gave me since my last visit. do they think i can't count or add or see the bottle getting empty? my gosh, she has been my pm for 2 years on the same dose although she writes the prescription for 1 tab and knows i take 2 for one dose. Probably forgot when they did their counting. so i can go pick up a prescription tomorrow morning when they are open for at first the assistant said 7 pills. No come on. I said right away if i take 2 at a time how would it ever come out to a 7. Won't even last me a whole day, i told her every 4 hours. So today i have had to go longer and we all know what it is like to try to catch up to pain. We also know how hard it is to change pain management doctors.
So i get barely enough for Sunday, to to the hospital and come out and have how many waiting at home? 0 I guess i will have to call then and beg one more time to get some because i just had surgery. then have to get into the car and make it to her office once again. Maybe she expects me to do this on my way home from the hospital.
I will just explain to my spine surgeon that she is not playing fair and see if he can write me a script. I really think he will.
So frustrating.

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Default oh brother..

Judy,
I sincerely hope your surgeon will manage your post op pain because this PM office is definately not listening to you. They're treating you like you're drug using and here you're going in to have another surgery in short period of time so that to me is really poor practice on the PM's part. Not playing fair? Actually not doing the job. I could see if you continually were asking for prescriptions early if you had a more than adequate dosing or weren't going in for another spine surgery but this is just plain unreasonable and poor practice to not consider you case based on what's going on.

I'd switch PMs if things don't improve. Well surgery is coming up pretty soon? Is it Monday? I hope you're hanging in there.

My feet have been just terrible of late. I mean TERRIBLE! I am beginning to wish I never had the bunion or hammertoe surgery and just bought bigger shoes to wear as I don't think the surgery was worth all this tendonitis pain an flaring up. I'm going to need a recumbant scooter if this keeps up! (since I can't sit long either riding around)!

Ok take care~
Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM

I will definitely have my surgeon give me a prescription for pain meds before i leave the hospital. Dumb pm doctor. she could have given me mscontin or something for nerve pain or anything, just told me i was taking too much . Just decided i only needed pain meds for half of Sunday. I almost don't want to go and get the prescription. but my sweet son has volunteered to go by himself and find it. He brought me last time so he should be ok.
I did call this doc up right after i got home from the hospital in this horrible pain, she did nothing for me and also nothing at my regular appointment. So may be time for a change. Although I know that is not an easy specialty to change within.
Well anyway only 3 days left of sitting around here , I'm so glad it is finally close.
Now i just must pray and hope that the leg pain disappears as quickly as it came on. I'm sure it will improve once all the loose screws are taken out.

Your feet will get better. I remember thinking i had done a dumb thing too and i would never get the right foot done. Still don't know about that one, i am tired of being down. Has i known i'd be immobile for 5 weeks, i had plenty of time to get the right foot done now!! Oh well.
At least when i do exercise again , it should be cooler out!
Rest those poor feet of yours
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Default re the pm

Judy,
Many people around here have told me that this very local PM is excellent however I do want to stick with my San Diego guy as long as he will keep me. I just love that he understands just because I'm not coming in every 3 months I am not selling my medication or some other such absurd idea and still will prescribe 120 count for me as tho I'm taking the 10mg dose 3 to 4 times/day however I only take it once daily.

In fact lately I would consider upping my dose but the constipation factor keeps me from doing that. I will go and get a Toradol injection next week I think as long as the Urgent Care doc will give it to me. I will need it as I have a big outting on Thursday which I tend to go along with even if I have to be in a wheel chair (going to the Getty with dh and his friend that is visiting from Colombia) and then we are going to my relatives in SilverLake where my cousins will be visiting and some other extended family from NY and Fl.

So I have a big day planned and even if my feet are going to create probs for me I don't want my back to be doing it too!

Hopefully things will work out. This heat really has me in a funk. Can't get anything done here but don't want to put the a/c on and make my renal failure cat sicker than he already is. I think that's 3 of us that are suffering in the heat (Lola, myself and Alaska the other cat) so that Winston can keep his body temperature up.

I just keep hoping for slightly cooler temps. There's been enough humidity in the air that I am quite achey until about this point in the day.

If you'd ever like to consider seeing my PM in SD let me know. It's a haul I know but for me I can go on the train and then take a taxi in town if dh couldn't or wouldn't be able to help out with transporation. I think it's super important to have a PM that totally gets us. You have so much more going on that really no one should be giving you a hard time.

Hopefully you can find another PM pretty easily that would be better suited to your needs. At least I sincerely hope so! take care! M
Old 09-08-2012, 05:25 AM

My pm ended up giving me 20 pills , but i will be using a lot over the weekend. then when i get home from the hospital that is all i would have. I'm sure my surgeon will write a prescription for me, i just have to remember to ask.
My legs are really hurting tonight. Must have caught up with me for standing up yesterday cleaning the kitchen. I would stand on my good leg for a minute or 2 , then sit in my rollie chair and proceed until i cleaned the darn kitchen.

My realtor noticed today. She asked who cleaned up the kitchen!! Yes it was that bad.
It has been 5 weeks now of this sever pain and not being able to walk do to it and i really have to hope the screws pulliing out are causing the majority of this sciatica as i read it does come back again. I hope it has no reason to in me. It is horrible when it is this severe.
I really am bent now after all this time when i try to stand up straight too, it kind of scares me.
Almost another day chalked off, but another night still to go and then only 2 more.

Enjoy your day next week. I know i couldn't handle that right now, i hope you can. In case i forget to tell you next week, who knows how long i will be in. Last time was supposed to be 3 days turned into 7.
take care
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Default re cleaning the kitchen

Judy,
I was going to scold you about cleaning the kitchen tho I know how that is when things get sooo bad.. and also as I was telling my neighbor earlier how badly I was hurting yesterday she said she saw that I was out sweeping the area in front of our places and down the sidewalk all along to the other building and not to do that as she didn't want me doing it all the time! I had forgotten that I even did that~ for some reason sweeping can get to me. Guess because of bending forward and kind of moving from the waist to sweep.. who knows?

Anyway now it's near 3a.m. and my stomach is hurting so I woke up from a not so good sleep anyway. I haven't been active enough to sleep well lately. Walking Lola isn't enough exercise for me then again when I can't walk I don't really exercise!

5 weeks of severe pain is a long time. I remember when I used to have really severe back pain and could hardly do anything but lie down. I won't say how long that lasted tho back then Pain Management didn't really prescribe actual pain medication for persons my age so I was given an antidepressant medication for the neuropathies (elavil)and some super trippy serious pysch drug for the pain that just made me an absolute zombie so I had to stop taking it. It also made my eyes stay wide open and I had a flat affect on it.

I'm so glad that at least medicine has progressed to actually prescribe medicines that do treat pain then again I'm nearly 30 years older than when first having problems and well out of child bearing years.

Hope those 20 pills will be enough for you and hope you do remember to ask your surgeon for a script post op. I think you better write that on your forehead so he can see it just in case you forget!!!

I hope the sciatica will be alleviated w/the removal of screws too. Seems like lots of people have probs with screws and get them removed. Hope that it's just the pain that's making you have a difficult time standing up straight. Seems like 5 weeks of severe pain would do that!

I'll probably write you again tomorrow tho also wanted to make sure to wish you the absolute best with your surgery and hope it goes well w/o complications. Also hope that postop you're going to be well medicated and that the end result is wayyyyy less pain and stability "in there!" Will be thinking about you and sending along good thoughts and prayers!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Hi Maria,
I hope you stop the sweeping the neighborhood. Get some sleep tonight. I had been sleeping better , only 4 hours until it is time for the next dose of meds. I'm so glad tomorrow is almost here. I almost want to just stay up , it will be hard getting up at 4:30 to take a painful shower. but they do want you showered that morning if at all possible and i certainly do not want to deal with infection.

I will watch what i do when i get home this time, i hope. This time it will actually be for healing and not just waiting to have it all removed. I feel all hunched over because i haven't stood up in 5 weeks. My foot no longer feel like they are on fire so there has been some little improvements. Also once i got home i had better meds and took them every 4 hours. In the hospital i was only getting IV tylenol and every 6 or so. After that was done, it was calling for the nurse for pain meds and usually being told it is not time yet. Or having her bring something really mild.
I will write when i can, hopefully soon. Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts, i sure need them all .
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Default re surgery

Judy,
Have been thinking about you and hoping and praying (yes I do that believe it or not) that things are going to go perfectly this time and you will have some lasting relief. If anybody deserves some relief it's you and then you also have to help yourself by really not jumping the gun and doing things you shouldn't post op like cleaning and driving too soon. Please do be careful as you have to allow yourself to heal!

I went to Urgent Care today for a Toradol shot because I have had these terribly sharp "got cha" spasms in my low back the last few days. I have also had knee pain and everything pain just about I think because of humidity and heat however I just needed a shot! It really helped my back! My feet are still bothering me tho hopefully for the Getty I'll somehow manage... that and everything else that day and visiting my relatives!

So if you've a chance or whenever you do please update on your status. Ever so briefly tho please!!!!

Maybe we can chat on the phone and save you some sitting time. Big hugs and best wishes for a great surgical outcome and a similar recovery! Maria
Old 09-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Default are u home yet Judy?

Just wondering if you're home yet and how things went?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM

STill in the hospital but am starting to feel human again. The surgery on Monday Sept 10th went well. I woke up in the afternoon and was doing great. ARound 7 pm that night i started getting a headache and vomiting. The headache got really severe. It ended up being a very bad migraine (versus a spinal headache) and i was given imitrex. It did a little good, but not the charm. A few days later, still getting this drug every 8 hours i started thinking about what i may be missing as the headache seemed to change. I went back on all medications as soon as i could keep them down. After 4 days with headaches it ended up a good cup of coffee cured me. The ones i ordered from the food service were de caff, i had no idea. One of my nurses on Friday was aware of this and brought me the nurses coffee and that did the trick for all day. The headache was back last night . I did take an imitrex pill but read up on it and decided no more. Headache back this morning and i again had a cup of joe from the nurses and was cured again. Not sure how the rest of the day will go.

As far as the spine, this was a wonderful surgery. What my surgeon did was remove all the hard wear from L2 thr L5 (even the one level he just fused last month) . I woke up leg pain free. Maybe 5% is left, but i can sure live with that. My legs still need a walker from 6 weeks of non use. I was in a wheelchair. So my doc removed the hard wear and put in more bone. WE are hoping for the best as the next step will be going in from the front to fuse the lumbar spine.
After 6 days i will be going home tomorrow and hopefully start the healing process. Now to work on the bone density issue.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM

Default good news!

Yay!!!! so glad to hear you're doing that well and that's almost funny re the coffee tho I wonder why you got de caf in the first place unless they're serving that to everyone now? I remember the "old" days where we chose on our menu what we wanted and what type of coffee. At St.Vincents in LA they even served one little bottle of wine w/dinner if it was allowed~ I used to order a dinner for my then bf to share and a bottle of wine for him and stash it for myself~ yeah.. such a good patient (not)!

I'm still trying to find doctors here and someone in particular to treat my bone density issues... I really need to find someone soon as I've gone too many years without treating this and don't want to get worse.

Anyway yippee re going home tomorrow and do hope you'll do very well at home and then will you be moving to your new house?