Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Loraine SB Charite III, L4/L5 & L5/S1 December 2003 in the Main forums forums; Originally Posted by Loraine on February 13, 2004 SURGERY DATE: December 5th 2003 AGE AT SURGERY DATE : 35 SURGEON : DR ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Loraine SB Charite III, L4/L5 & L5/S1 December 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraine on February 13, 2004
SURGERY DATE:
December 5th 2003

AGE AT SURGERY DATE : 35

SURGEON :
DR Zeegers

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC:
Alpha Klinic, Munich, Germany

DEVICE(s): SB Charite 111,
LEVEL (s): 2 -level L4/L5 & L5/S1

COST = 22,000 Euros
AMOUNT BILLED: 22,000 Euros
INSURANCE ALLOWED : None in the UK
OUT OF POCKET: Approx 26,000 Euros
TRAVEL: £260 GBP for 2 people
EXPLANATIONS: Total cost included;
Special corset 1,000 Euros.
Hotel costs for 2 people approx 1,900 Euros..
Gyrotronics Therapy 600 Euros
And anti-thrombosis medication for 60 days which was 400 Euros

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...:
December 2002

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...):[/B}
Chiropractic
Massage
Physiotherapy
Osteopathy
Rest
Accupuncture
Tuina
Inversion

[b]PRE-OP MEDICATIONS:
Nothing worked so I stopped trying; NONE

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...):
Finally in April an MRI showing disc protrusion at L5/L5
Then another in October showing no disc protrusion but severe Degenerative Disc desease at L4/L5 AND L5/S1

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES . I tried every type of painkiller but they had no effect on my pain which was a level 8-10+ standing, sitting, and lying. I couldn’t walk for 3 months.
Half way through physiotherapy sessions the pain pattern changed from left leg to right leg. I was given back extensions on the floor to do three times a day, 3 x 10 repetition along with various stretches all of them three times a day. I had not had any x-rays or scans at this point.
I had severe pain across lower back, through my right buttock, down right leg, calf in permanent seizure/spasm. There was no reflex on my right Achilles. The heal of my right foot was dead with no feeling. I also had a dead feeling on the ball of the right foot. Felt like I was standing on a small stone and as my condition continued the area that felt dead got bigger and bigger. It ended up feeling like I was standing on a large stone. At this point I was really worried about nerve damage and the possibility that there may be permanent damage if it continues for a length of time. I could not walk for about 3 months not even to the corner shop which was less than 100 meters away; my leg would give way of drag. It was difficult enough getting around my tiny apartment. I was desperate and would try anything. I also bought an inversion table which works on traction. I used it daily for a few minutes in the morning and in the evening. I started off with a slight inversion and went on to full inversion over 2 weeks.

PRE-OP CONDITION
Please see above. This was not an acceptable level to live my life at as far as pain was concerned. It interfeard so much that I did not have any quality to my life I was mearly here and funtioning. I was not enjoying life and I could not consider trying to have a long life in my the current state. My way of thinking was and still is: it is betterto have a short life and live it to the full and die happy than lead a sevesrly restricted life not being able to do anything you enjoy or that brings a smile to your face.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE:
I had been researching possible soltions from when I injured my back really. I couldn't leave the house but at least I had a computer and the internet; it saved me. I descoverd the back Pain support group through MMglobals website (I think). His story inspired me. I did not however post on the site untill I was sure I was going for surgery.

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE:
Excellent. Dr Zeegers is great. Explained everything to me. The Alpha Klinik was like a private Hopsita. The Nurses were fantastic. My Private room was Superior and en-suite. The Food was 4 star when I could finally eat it was delicious. I would have paid good money for it. It was very easy and relaxed. I felt in very safe competent, experienced hands.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.

SATISFACTION:
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

FUNCTIONALITY: _5_ SATISFACTION: _5_ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE
I now only take 1 Tramadol/ Zydol before bed for pain relief
I get very slight twinges in my bum but nothing really; All my disraction pain in my leg has gone and I have no back pain.
I will start gently back at the Gym in March and will keep you posted in my ADR Journal that I'm keeping on-line.
Waiting for an update from Loraine.