View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Default re power chairs

Kc,
the city buses are able to accomodate wheelchairs and I think power ones as well as one man got on with one and they have the area that you are hooked into (the bus driver assists w/this). However I think there is only one space like this per bus, maybe 2 but if there's already one powered w/c on the bus the wait might be over 1/2 hr for next bus. Bus ride in SD to La Jolla w/transfers might be quite a bit of time as well (over an hour). Being as close to your doctor's appt. as possible yet still on a bus line that could get you there would be most feasible and then allowing for extra time re bus wait/travel is important.

The trolley is a pretty rapid type of on off situation.. the doors open and people jump on and off and I've not seen someone in a power wheel chair before doing this altho that doesn't mean that it's not done.

Now the buses like Greyhound don't seem to be able to accomodate w/c's as they have a stair to climb up that is difficult even for me as an ambulatory person if I'm carrying something. Very steep and the aisle is narrow.

City buses are your best bet but I'm not even sure if taxi drivers will deal with power wheelchairs. I'll inquire re limo service for power chairs but regular taxi service may not help with lifting of power chairs because of possible injury .. not sure but can call several taxi/limo services for you if you'd like.

All of this is something I can call and inquire about if you'd like. You can pm me or send me an email at my reg email which I'd give you in a private mail or even my phone number.

I was afraid of public transportation or even going out much for a while but forced myself to get out there which came with me being a bit stronger and more ambulatory but I know there is transportation for persons with wheel chairs and power chairs like Dial a Lift and such. Some arrangements such as this have to be made 2 weeks prior to the appt. though so the regular bus system might be the best altho it will take some endurance I think in terms of waiting at bus stops. From what I saw the drivers are really patient and kind in San Diego.

I don't know if you've someone accompanying you tho if not I could try to accompany you to the office or however the situation would have to be arranged
I'd offer to accompany you re the bus system (I don't drive on the freeway) if I'm able as my neck is a bit squirrely lately.. I'd surely try tho if you're going to be alone. I can be in San Diego pretty easily myself by hopping on a bus from where I live (2 plus hour ride) tho I would do that a few days before so as to be rested and positioned to help.

I'd leave you to your privacy re your appt. and just try to be part of getting you there w/o snafu's if' you'd like or at least call and try to ferret out information for you.. just let me know.

Last edited by Maria; 05-30-2009 at 12:33 AM.