Thread: dascor trial
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 AM

Default Very interested in this

I am very interested in this technology, prosthetic disc nucleus (PDN), and will be interested to hear any wisdom from Dr Regan, as well as your own experiences and thoughts.

I agree that the injection of a substance that cures in the disc, rather than the more intrusive procedure necessary to implant other types of PDNs, is a big advantage of Dascor.

There are two issues with all disc prostheses: How well does it work, and what are the risks? In the risk analysis, a big issue is how you get the thing into your back. The Dascor is indeed good in that regard.

What does Dr Regan says the Dascor PDN will do for you pain-wise? You say that disc height is your problem (tho you presumably still have decent height, or you wouldn't be a candidate for PDN, right?). How is poor disc height creating your pain?

Certainly in DDD, we know the nucleus degenerates, but the nucleus has no nerve supply, so the relationship between the degenerated nucleus and pain is not easily apparent to me. Does PDN work by restoring/preserving height? Is it removal of the diseased nucleus material that relieves pain? Is it restoration of the mechanical properties of a healthy nucleus--the shock absorbing cushion?

The reports I have read about PDNs (largely from the manufacturers and surgeons, so grain of salt) claim significant and long-lasting pain relief. Reportedly, the handful of patients implanted successfully 10 years ago are still doing well. The reason (again, according to a manufacturer) that PDNs didn't gain quicker acceptance was the unacceptable rate of surgical failure of the first devices. Hopefully, the newer designs and procedures have fixed these problems. FDA trials--as you know!--are just now starting this country, and I see a number of companies introducing new designs. So maybe there is some validity to it all. I surely hope so. Good luck to you, and keep us posted.