Thread: dascor trial
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:22 AM

I have a two part problem, and this is a two part surgery -
a discectomy, and the implant.

1 - I have a broad disc bulge (posterior) which is pressing on the descending l4-l5 nerves bilaterally.

2 - I have decreased disk height which causes the exiting l5-s1 nerves to be pinched by the foramina.

I consider this to be mechanical back pain. Pain and sciatica only occurs during/after lifting, prolonged sitting or standing - otherwise I am mostly pain free.

the implant increses the height theoretically taking pressure off the posterior bulge, and opening the foramina allowing the l5 nerves to exit unimpinged.

The role of the discectomy is to make room for the implant, and also
to clean of some of the left over garbage. As far as decompression it is unclear to me because I think that
they don't want the implant to migrate back into the bad spot while it is still liquid. When I asked the intern this, he said they do try and stay away from the disc bulge during discectomy. This is purly speculation and I will investigate further.

Regan did a dasor about three weeks ago and she is doing great.
the europe trial followed 60 people around for a year who had it,
and few complications were reported.

The short term risks are very minimal.
In the long term I would imagine further degeneration the annulus, and possible migration / annulus prolapse. Expulsion is a low risk because of the small incision to the annulus and, the concave shape of the vertebra endplate VS. the convex shape of the implant (individually fitted).

This sounds good to me because it is a minimally invasive surgery that is easy to revise. If I get ten productive years out of it - it will be worth it

Regan talked about doing the discectomy from the front (anterior)
-- I will ask him, but I am curious - are they done endoscopically (very minimally invasive) now days,
or is it laparoscopic (a little more invasive)??