View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Anxiety

J-

I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for my entire life, although it was only finally diagnosed about 8 years ago. Since then, I've been on medication (currently 60-90 mg of Cymbalta) that has helped me get back to "normal". There are certain times and/or events that cause increased anxiety (like my recent surgery and the months leading up to it) that cause the need for me to increase my daily dosage for a while, then once the crisis passes, I am able to go back down to my usual dose. I also have another medication (Xanax) that helps with accute anxiety attacks. There is a nice side-effect to the Cymbalta, and that is that for some reason, it helps reduce chronic pain. Also, before my laminectomy in September 2008, I was having severe sciatic nerve pain and was on 200-250 mg/day of a drug called Topomax. I originally started taking this medication at 50 mg to help prevent very frequent migraines, but after researching the drug, I found out that at higher levels, it helps reduce chronic nerve pain. I had to work my way up to that dosage, increasing by 50 mg every few weeks. But it helped! I went from barely being able to move to walking 15-20 miles per week relatively pain free.

I know that anxiety alone can be debilitating, but adding the stress of severe chronic pain on top of that can be mind-boggling! And people have the best of intentions telling you to relax, but they just don't understand that, for someone with this condition, it's usually impossible. My anxiety attacks consist of heart palpatations, shaking, heat flashes, then feeling freezing, nausea/vomiting, and all of the associated abdominal distresses. I know what you're feeling around this...have you seen a psychiatrist? They are professionals in dealing with this and have a great knowledge of how to treat you with medications and/or therapy. You really don't have to suffer with this particular condition, especially with all of your other health problems.

Wishing you all the best,
Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany