View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Believe me, the last thing I wanted was to make anyone feel like I do not appreciate the support I am recieving. If anyone felt like that because of my posts, please accept my apology.

It is not just the pain that affects me. My body is stuck in a fight or flight response. Sounds, lights, emmotions (good or bad), basicaly any stimulus sends electrical shocks through my entire body. Imaging not being able to laugh at a funny joke because not only the physical movements of laughter will cause pain, but the happiness itself causes pain. Imagine not being able to watch television because the stimulus sets off a pain reaction. Imagine not being able to even meditate. What most people can do to at least try and distract themselves from the pain, causes more for me. It is truly torture.

I have brought this up over and over to doctors and have been ignored, but I will not be any longer. There are areas in the thoracic spine that control the sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system. There are also three areas in the cervical spine as well called sympathetic cervical ganglia (and some in the lumbar area). They however, recieve information up from the thoracic spine and not directly from the cervical spine.

I have herniations at T1-2, T3-4, and T6-7. Thoracic nerves are named for the top disc unlike cervical wich are named for the bottom ones.

T1 sends sympathetic innervation to the thyroid and heart
T3 sends sympathetic innervation to the heart, chest, pluera, bronchial tubes, and lungs.
T6 sends sympathetic innervation to the stomach and pancreas.

I have been through 3 cardiac workups for palpitations and tachycardia, have been diagnosed with gastroparesis (slowing of the stomach), and been worked up for pancreatitis. Every time I asked the doctors if this could be from the thoracic herniations and every time I was told no, given medication that I didn't need, and passed off. It was not until the pain relief of the surgery did I truly realise that I have been right all along.

I realise that thoracic herniations are rare and that the surgery is more dangerous but that is no reason to dismiss my symptoms. If anyone has any suggestions for surgeons that specialize in thoracic herniations, please let me know.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09