View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Default 2 weeks post-op

Well, yesterday was 2 weeks post-op, and I think I'm doing pretty good. The only pain I'm feeling is muscle pain in my hips and legs, and still some tenderness in my abdomen. I'm almost 2 inches taller, so I'm sure the muscles are just reacting to the re-adjustment back to "normal". I've started doing some stretching of the leg and hip muscles by laying flat on my back (something that I couldn't do before the surgery).

This morning, when I was on the floor doing my stretches, it dawned on me the huge difference in having the disc space back, and how good it felt to just lay there. When I got up, I was moved to tears from the happiness of finally feeling "normal" again. Just NORMAL! Not bells and whistles and fireworks...just normal is so beautiful! It's miraculous. Now, I'm crying again...

I'm so happy to be home (we got in late Monday, minus all of our luggage ). My kids all noticed the difference in my height, and now, instead of being shorter than my 15 year-old daughter, I'm taller than her by half-an-inch! They were all so happy to see me and me them, and it's great to be back in Mommy Mode.

The only bad news is that my employer, who told me before I left that I could work from home, has changed their mind and is now saying that I can't. The problem is, I don't have enough PTO to take 6-8 weeks off. So, it looks like I'm going to have to go back to work ASAP. Dr. B told me that I could go back as soon as I wanted, because I don't have a physically demanding job, but I do wish I could at least take a couple of more weeks. So, as soon as I get a note from Dr. B (I emailed Tim V. last night) saying I can go back, then off I go; they won't let me come back without this note, so I hope I get it soon.

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany