View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 PM

What surgery are you having?

Can you get one of those 'fingers on a stick' gadgets? They have a handle on one end and grippers on the others so that you can pick things up without bending over, or get things off a tall shelf?

Remember that your gut will be sluggish after anesthetic, especially if you are having lumbar surgery and your organs are being moved aside. So make sure the food you are stocking up on is good for you, not too much junk food which will contribute to constipation. You will heal better with a proper diet too. Trail mix, with dried fruit and nuts gives you something to chew on, easy to eat (no preparation), and helps keep the gut moving, just as a start.

Make sure that the kitty doesn't jump on you and your incision...we have several of the critters, and I know how they like to crawl over us and jump on the most inappropriate areas

I'm sorry, I haven't gone through this myself, but am trying to remember what I liked having around when I went through my last abdominal surgery. Keep posting and don't worry about 'too many questions'. That's what we're here for.

How about gadgets for the shower and/or bath too...rubber mats to make sure you don't slip when you are able to use it, but are still a little unsteady. You can rent stools for sitting while you shower, and handles for the side of the tub, just in case. I'll keep thinking....
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.

Last edited by Katie; 06-10-2009 at 05:56 PM.