View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmith07 View Post
I had to give myself shots from the day I left from the hospital until the day I left from Paris. They were blood thinner shots to prevent blood clots, and I had to continue them until the latter of a) staying up and active for at least 4 hours per day, or b) until I made the trans-Atlantic flight home. I didn't think I'd be able to give them to myself, and for the first couple of days, Hubby gave them to me...but once he told me that he REALLY didn't like giving them, I sucked it up and gave them to myself. It really wasn't so bad...the needle is really small; I didn't even feel it going in.

As for the stress, up until I finally got to Germany, I was a mess! I had to increase my daily anxiety med dose, and deal as best as I could. I don't think I would have made it without my wonderful husband, and the TONS of support that I got (and still get) from my friends on this site. Now, I'm fine; I went back down to my regular dose of anxiety med, and I haven't had to take Xanax for the accute attacks since before the surgery.

As for the surgery itself, I had it on a Tuesday afternoon. I pretty much slept until Thursday morning, then I woke up, got up, put on my brace and took off. Went for maybe 5-6 small walks that day. Friday, started using the stairs instead of the elevator and made arrangements to leave the hospital 2 days early. Saturday, went for a one mile walk around the hospital. Sunday, checked out of the hospital, and flew to Paris to be with Hubby (who was working). Been going ever since, and have to "force" myself to slow down. Spent a wonderful week in Paris and was even able to get out and see some sites and do some shopping. The only pain I have now, 2 weeks post-op, is muscle pain in my legs and hips (because I'm almost 2 inches taller, and everything is stretched) and my abdomen is a little tender from the incision. ZERO back pain...well, not the same back pain...my muscles will get a little achey if I do too much...but the pre-op pain is completely gone. So far, so GREAT!!!!

Making the decision to have the surgery was only part of the battle...then fighting the "crazies" that get you when things are too quiet, or when you can't sleep in the middle of the night. I have to admit, that the recovery is MUCH easier than the months leading up to the surgery.

Hang in there, and please tell us more about you.

Jess
Thanks, that was helpful. (I still hate the needle, though) I still have bruises on my leg where I received them the first time I was hospitalized. I am truly glad that you enjoyed Paris. (I don't know how you could even look at a plane) I drove my friend home and he was about to die after 2 hrs in my comfy car.
As far as the stress, I am already in Germany, so that may help a little (though everything in the states is falling apart). Just last week, my car was stolen from my sister and totaled. And yesterday I was told someone kicked in the door in an attempt to burglarize my home that is currently being rennovated. I am trying to settle all of that while preparing. Not to mention getting odd comments at work (I am a chauffeur) and being critiqued and yelled at anytime I have to go take care of something (though when I am not driving I am sitting around trying to stay awake).

Which brings me to my next question: How difficult is driving?
I currently struggle to even walk (which is very unprofessional) to where my passenger today ordered me to remain in the vehicle rather than open the door for him because he said watching me made him cringe. Loading and unloading his luggage was definately out of the question. Though I will have a recovery period, eventually I will have to return to driving