View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 AM

Default Hi Steve

I was worried that they may increase the price and were just talking about the surgeons fee's as I said in an earlier post as this has been my experience. Ive also heard that the hospital cost in the US alone are expensive, I thought that was 1 of the reasons why people went over to germany in the first place. I also said in an earlier post like Fuzzy that I feel Dr B has waived his fees and only charged for the costs that are not going to him like the hospital and fusion hardware. That was just based upon my quote from Dr B for my surgery. Did they itemize the quote and if they did maybe ask if Dr B would waive his fee if there is one. The big difference I found with the Germany quotes is everything is usually included on it and itemized so you know exactly whats included and how many days in hospital and have an all up cost. Most other surgeons are just talking about their fee then you have the anaethetist, hospital costs, implant costs, medications etc etc. The worst part I find is that they are all just estimates and if the surgery takes twice as long and you stay in hospital longer it costs you more at the end which you havent planned for and must pay before leaving there.

I do think you have taken this extremely well and looked into your best options and it is so great that you have 3 choices. I know how hard it is waiting for something when you are like you are, you just want it done immediately but it all takes time. Did Dr Bertagnoli tell you how long you would have to wait for surgery? Was he going to put you ahead of others? I know I was told that I needed to pay 3 weeks before the surgery which meant I would have had to wait at least 3 weeks for surgery.

You are extremely lucky for the offer to meet Dr B at the airport, it shows that he is concerned about you and obviously would like the opertunity to correct the problem. If this is not 2 far from you I think that would be a great opertunity to see him so he can see you for himself and maybe ask him in person if he would do the revision for free or cheaper. Maybe he can do it as a teaching case to be able to waive the costs for you. That may also mean that he wouldnt be able to operate on you for sometime if he is away. Did they say he was away for long? It doesnt look like you will get a final quote and date for surgery before then anyway. I have been told I have an 8 week wait but my disc hasnt subsided like yours so its no great panick aslong as I rest. Are you still managing to work? If so U R doing amazing.

I definately understand your concerns with travelling back to Germany and would also stay closer if possible, it would be worth the extra costs. I think also a fusion will be alot worse than an ADR. After the ADR you are allowed to move alittle but after a fusion need to take it much easier and the long travel by yourself would be horrendous. Is there any chance that your aunt who was going 2 look after you in the US would be able to come with U if you did go back there. I know it adds onto the cost but is definately needed to ensure a proper recovery. The other thought would be to go in a wheelchair if you did go back to germany. At least then you would be helped and looked after hopefully.

I hope that you get some answers soon but I would definately keep questioning that it includes all costs associated with the surgery. You may be able to work out what costs are associated from your initial surgery costs because surely that would have similar fees or atleast state what fees to expect.

Stick with it all, you are doing everything you can and going about it the best way possible.

Take care
Mark
July 2009 ADR successfully removed laterally by Dr Luiz Pimenta in Brasil with XLIF and perc. PLIF

NO LONGER POSTING HERE