Thread: My Situation
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Default My Situation

So here is a little background information.
I am a 27 yo female that has suffered back injuries from my job. I am military, stationed in Germany. A few years ago, I injured my back beyond repairs by lifting something that was way too heavy (because no one wanted to help and it had to get moved). Since then, it has been a downward spiral. Over the years, I have had all types of injections, physical therapy, and pain meds that never seemed to help. Due to the nature of my job (driver), I have been limited as to the meds I can take (as I cannot just have time off whenever I need it). My life has been hampered up to this point as I am even afraid to travel on my own (which I love doing). I am only a 5 hr drive from Paris and still have not been due to the situation. But back to the point. In November of last year (2008), Once again the debilitating pain set back in to where I was picking someone up at the airport and suddenly was unable to walk (again). I managed to get her home and had to go directly to the hospital. I was there for two weeks while they tried to figure out the best course of action. They wanted to do a fusion, but due to my age wanted to try a discoplasty first. They said if that did not work that they would then do a fusion. So I had a L4-5/ L5-S1 nucleoplasty. The hospital stay was terrible. Though I speak German, for some reason their regional dialect was so that they couldn't understand my "High German" and I could not understand anything they said. (Not to mention English is a requirement in German schools). So in a few weeks I went in for my checkup (still on crutches unable to walk) and let my Dr know that the pain was still terrible and there was not much improvement. He said everything would be ok. So when I returned to work and began physical therapy, the physical therapist said there was nothing they could do for me as I was in too much pain and sent me to the pain clinic (over a 2 hour drive away). So I continued to go every couple weeks for a series of treatments. It was after they ordered the MRI's that they realized that the nucleoplasty caused more damage to my L5-S1. The other level was ok, so I was referred to the neurosurgeon. They were way too booked, so I was sent to an civilian hospital in Heidelberg (they agreed it was NOT good to return the hospital I went to previously). Here I was told that the only relief I would get would be from the disc replacement. So, less than a month later, here I am freaking out with a surgery scheduled on the 24th of June. (But lucky for me I found you guys and am not freaking out as much as I would have been. I also have the support of my little crazy kitty who senses something is wrong and has been being real nice to me lately. He's even been bringing gifts to me when I lay in bed, of drinking straws (his favorite toy) and little toy mice)

P. S.
I am also very long-winded and sidetracked easily (in case you didn't notice!)