View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Default 1st opion after all the tests

Well I have to say I was pleasantly surprised going to my HMO my first stop for surgery advice. The guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and had a great bedside manner. The fact I have done so much research made it much better. I was his last appt. so it lasted for two hours.

What he said was what I thought...not exactly what I wanted to hear but that I need a two level fusion and that due to the facet issue and the bone density he didn't feel adr or a hybrid was the best. I'm glad in a way he wanted to do two levels as I have a bunch of annular tears on another disc which the report failed to mention from the radiologist. So at least the ball is moving. I will see the other surgeons in NY. I know different people have different requirements.

No way would I let him do ADR as he doesn't have enough experience in my book, but over 300 fusions felt better. I hate to say it but if I did exactly as I wanted it could wipe me out financially. It's a total drag to be in a situation where money is a factor. More later.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.