View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara

Hey guys,
first sorry for being mia, I've been really busy since school started and dealing with my back. So I'm here to give a new update. As I said before I had the CT scan and shared the results. I went in for another facet block but this time on my right side and it didnt help at all. Dr. Regan didnt want to see me until 3 months after the facet block. But I cant go through this semester like I did last semester so I want to get a rhizotomy on the right side, which Dr. Fuller thinks is a good idea.
I was a little frustrated that Dr. Regan didnt mention that I had bone spurs, didnt mention that I had a bulging disc, and a few other things. His intern was the one who came in and told me what was going on, and then Dr. Regan came in and said it was my facet joints and wanted to go the same route that we did with my left side. It wasnt until I looked at the CT scan myself and the results and then got answers from you guys plus doing research online that I understood what was going on.
Right now I'm grappling with what to do next, in terms of fixing this problem. The only thing that can fix it right now is a fusion, or I wait a few yrs for the new procedure. But I dont know if I should do the new procedure after the problems that I've had from the disc replacement. I dont want to end up being a guinea pig for and keep going in for these new procedures. What happens if I get the new one and then the same thing happens.. then what I keep waiting and then doing more new procedures?
At least now I finally figured out my daily pain cycle and can take my meds accordingly. Dr. Fuller put me on lyrica because of the burning, radiating, pulsating, aching etc... and it has helped a bit.

Maria - It was such a pleasure meeting you as well! I'm glad to hear that your meeting went well. Dr. Apostle is great, kind of cute too huh?! I think youre right about having them as a great team, but I am going to go to different doctors, a few neurosurgeons and some other ones to show my CT scan results and to see what they think I should do for my next course of action - fusion vs. new procedure.

Thank you so much for calling me an inspiration. The one thing that I've learned from this whole experience is that I can help other people who are going through constant pain and are having a difficult time staying positive and not letting it defeat them. I look at it as though my back will not control my entire life and my dreams, but rather I deal with it face on and will get through anything.

When are you going through with your surgery? I hope that everything goes well and my thoughts are with you!!! Take care and good luck!

Laura -
Thank you so much for all of that information.. you rock and I totally appreciate it. So thanks!! It really helped me get an understanding of what's going on since I didnt get a straight answer from Dr. Regan's intern and Dr. Regan just said, "its your facet joints and lets take the same course of action that we did with your left side."
I'm curious to know what your MRI results said. For me, it's good to knwo that there are people out there that are dealing with the same kind of problem as me. It's hard considering I'm in that 5% group. You had ADR right? Are you thinking of waiting for the new procedure or doing a fusion?
I hope youre doing well, and again sorry for taking so long to respond.

Thanks again you guys for your kind words, I really appreciate it and it really does mean something to me. Thanks.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex