View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 AM

Dale I am sorry TOS means Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - a big name for the fact that everyone has a Thoracic Outlet this is what carries the bloos flow & nerve pathways from the cartod artery down into the arms & chest area. This outlet can get scar tissue or compressed over time - HOWEVER in my case I am one of the rare people who have a EXTRA rib a Cervical rib that only one percent of the worlds population has & this falls in this pathway - so i am MORE crowded than most people & over time - this always tends to cause problems with nerve & compression to the arteries which is what this is doing to me now - I have this on both sides of my spine & it requires this being taken out in 2 different operations. The doc's who do this are typically Thoracic Vascular surgeons but due to the fact that this is not a common surgery - you want a doc who does alot of these under their belt. As alot of complications etc. if you dont have a good one. i have so far alot of pre work ups that show i have the arteries being compressed - i have a couple more tests to do & i want them done ASAP as I have a risk for a clot & anerysm spelling sorry i am tired. So depending on what i find out i will put the one that has the most danger if left untouched 1st - but i am trying to weed thru this & I am talking to doc's around the country on this. Memphis does not have doc's who do much of these.
I have a TOS doc who does alot of these calling me himself this week which is very nice & I had another TOS doc call me last week so far it looks like yes I have this for sure & that this extra rib has to come out - I actually would rather have the ADR Cervical neck surgery as this is a major deal & once recovered have to undergo the other side as both are affected. Once I get all of the final tests & doc's weighed in I will confer with Dr Fenk-Mayer & lay this in front of the doc's & make decisions. I do know when it comes to my neck who i want Dr B. - however with the TOS I am going thru finding who the best are etc. I only want a doc like Dr B & Fenk-Mayer who are willing to address ?'s
Thanks - & all the best to you Jill