Thread: L5S1 Prodisc-L
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM

It sounds like you are doing pretty good. I was lucky in that I had paid leave time, so I don't have to work. I can instead focus on resting, taking walks, letting my body recover and now I am starting to reduce the pain meds (new problems all together). But I am hoping to go back to work in a few weeks. I can't go back to the same job, they had to fill my position when I left, but I am guaranteed a position with the same company due to FMLA. Next week will be 6 weeks post-op for me, and will be the first time I am forced to drive myself. Have to get my hair done, before having a face to face interview for a job, and then the next day going for the interview.

I just went to a movie on Sunday, but purposefully chose one that had been out for a while, so wasn't expected to be crowded. We sat near the back, so I could get up and stand in the aisle, without disturbing anyone. I did get up once to stand for about 5 minutes, but I also pushed up on the armrests too. I am hoping that by July 15th, I will be ready to sit through an entire movie, so I can go see the new Harry Potter movie.

We had our surgeries on the same day, though mine was in Germany. It seems like we are both doing very well. I know how you feel, about not wanting to have to take the pain meds anymore. But with the length of time I was on them, I know realistically it will take some time to taper off. When I went down in dose the first time, it took about 3-4 days of feeling just a little ill, before I felt normal again. I am hoping the next step down will be easier to handle.

I hope you don't mind the long post in your journal, but I felt like I had a lot of similarities to share with you.

I hope that we both continue to recover well, and look forward to being out of pain in the coming months.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone