View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM

2 Answers for you from what I have learned.

Self fusing:

I was told the same thing about my low back years ago. Live with the pain, the disks are so far gone the vertabrae will autofuse soon and then the pain will go away. Just don't worry about the neurological symptoms, the neurosurgeon told me. I felt I was too young to suffer with this kind of disabling pain that long hoping it would autofuse one day! I waited too long due to this guys comments! When the day came I was also told the same. Do lumbar first, let heal and then see how much is left and decide on neck surgery. Well, I need it!

Myelopathy is concidered serious and at the same time you do have a chance for at least some improvement of your neuro symptoms by surgical decompression. In many studies I have read it is recommended prompt surgery in this type of case. Here is one:

Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: Arguments for Surgery

And another:

Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy Requires Prompt Surgery

One you are self fused you can't undo that as far as I know. Then it would be a procedure to make room for the spinal chord as needed.

If the disks are pushing on the spinal chord they need to be removed and replaced with whatever something. Hopefully adr, otherwise fusion.

Oh I didn't read you whole post. You say your insurance will not pay for "emergency treatment" with any of the other surgeons? And you have to file appeals? Even for a decompression and fusion procedure? Can you try to find the right doctor that is part of your network and offers you the right treatment? Even out of network you should be able to ge coverage for a nessesary treatment especially of it is not a multilevel ADR "experimental procedure".

Last edited by fuzzy; 07-25-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: another article