Thread: Dr Delamater ?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Default Bad experience with Delamarter

My first surgery with him was for a Prodisc at L4-L5 that stopped moving (fused) and Delamarter said he saw a lot of facet arthritis there. He thought it was causing my terrible leg pain and back pain. As a solution, he fused me at L4-L5. 6-7 weeks into post-op I developed terrible pain in my left leg and was completely unable to walk or place weight on the left leg. Del. could provide no explanation or answers except to wait another year for fusion to be completely solid. I did, but the left leg remained much worse than before his surgery. Then, he said he would remove posterior hardware from my back and continue decompressing. And, that was my second surgery with him. I woke up after anesthesia with my left leg paralyzed. And then, they said the did not know what happened. (Are you kidding me?) As a later EMG, ordered by pain managment showed, they damaged my S1 nerve root resulting in numbness and terrible pain to much of my left leg and even greater problem with walking or sitting. Now, 15 months after my surgery, neurologists and pain management tell me they think the damage is probably permanent. The right leg and back pain are also worse than before his surgery. I am a very calm, nice and polite patient, and wanted to follow up on my condition with him several months after my surgery about the lack of progress in my condition, but he would not return my phone calls (although I can't say anything bad about Kevin and Sherry - his medical assistants who have told me they themselves can't understand his lack of response) I have not been able to get in touch with Del. in all this time despite many, many attempts.

In addition to absolutely abysmal surgical outcomes with him, I feel slighted and abandoned. This is the basis for my inability to recommend him in an earlier post.