View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Default sedation w/discogram

Mark,
I'm glad to read your post re Zeeger's use of sedation w/discogram.
To date I've undergone 3 discograms here in California.

My first discogram was performed by my treating OSS done with the least amount of sedation or so it felt. I was concordant for pain at L3,L4,L5S1 so a 3 level global fusion was planned. That didn't sit well w/me so I waited it out a few more years. To be truthful, I'm sure I had enough sedation while at a minimum, and I'm not sure I didn't just squiggle at the thought when the surgeon told me he was at the L3 level.. I mean, I hope that I didn't give an unreliable response, but of course I've always wondered after what you'll read about the next two discograms...

The second time I had a discogram it was with a very reputable anesthesiologist that the Chief of Orthopedics at UCSF sent me to on one day's notice. Anyone who has Worker's Comp insurance and has been thru the maze of authorizations and time factors knows that this was an amazing feat in itself!

This discogram yielded results of concordant pain at L4 and L5 but NOT L3! I was leary... I wondered which exam was right but I felt that the 2nd exam was more reliable and I must say, I also felt more comfort and sedation was provided.

The anesthesiologist had gone so far as to sit me down for a good 10 minutes before the procedure to talk to me about it and also told me that sometimes persons on Medications such as mine may have a decreased threashhold for pain because of the pain medication and my response may be affected by this. I'd never heard that before.
A 2 level ADR (prodisc) surgery was planned but canceled before I could have the surgery as trial had closed.

Now this past year, a good 3 years later from last discogram, I had another one with my current PM doctor. An ESI was given afterwards.

With this discogram I had the most sedation it seemed as the procedure rendered me nearly unconscious or so it felt until my response to the painful discs at L4 and even greater at L5S1~

Mark, you have seen my reports, you've seen how they were written. In my opinion the 3rd discogram report was written extremely well as a good procedure report should be (esp. for WC).

Personally, I cannot imagine a discogram with no sedation...I am sure that I would squiggling and screaming at anything that was done~

Tell Dr.Zeegers there's one more American who is thankful that he's decided to use sedation during discogram! My feelings are that if the person who is doing the procedure is extremely skillful, the results yielded will be on the mark... I think it's all in the hands of the person performing the procedure, sedation or no sedation... that is my personal and humble opinion which of course can be debated or challenged by anyone if so desired~

thanks again for this post and that was a fortunate patient in terms of outcome of procedure and surgery!!!

Last edited by Maria; 09-21-2006 at 05:11 PM.