View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 AM

Thanks Maria!

Amazing that you were a surgical candidate when your bone density was better. May I ask why your GP was concerned about your hip values? Was this b/c spinal bone density is hard to interpret, that using hip values as a proxy for spine density is OK, or what?

The radiologist's report said that my OK bone density readings could be off-base is that my extensive DDD in the lower lumbar area is so intense (difficult to interpret). You are right: the radiologist said that my chances of my hip collapsing are 3% in 10 years (? from memory).

I will try to get an opinion from a rheumatogist and it dawned up me that since Dr. Regan is trained as an orthopedic surgeon and has experience w/those with poor bone densities, that he might be a good resource too on what to take to grow bone, in case I go for a fusion. Also, he could inform me, hopefully, something I read that Forteo, etc. grow bone, but not of optimal density.

I appreciate your time. If only they had a way to get the lumbar spine "wired" in terms of getting the exact bone density measurements.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Btw, will you adopt me? I need heavy mothering. I know that you have the energy, time, and inclination for this.

ans

P.S. I sure would like to know that if my bone density values increase from these meds, if it'll be "strong bone" and if I"ll be a candidate for (oooh, can't wait) for fusion.

Last edited by ans; 10-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.