View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 AM

I had a series of injections (3 injections 1 week apart) to my left knee on two separate occasions some years back due to bone on bone - no cartiledge to left knee. These injections were comprosed of hyaluronan, something I noticed that these disc injections comprise. After receiving the 3rd injection on both times I suffered side effects, mainly severe swelling, internal bleeding to knee. I needed to have the knee drained daily for around a week. There was so much swelling that when the needle was inserted the fluid simply forced the large syringe back and self filled (ie: the dr did not have to draw the needle/syringe back).

The manufacturer of the product contacted me after receiving a fax from me to discuss whether it was done correctly. They came to the conclusion that I was one of only a small percentage (0.25% from memory) that are allergic to it. It was a real pity as it gave great relief for the very short time it was in. It immediately felt like the joint was being lubricated and nice and cool rather than being hot and dry.

Now, I do not know if it is exactly the same, but when I read "hyaluronan: it brought back the memory. *** The point being made is simply to warn people that all things have side effects. I can only imagine the pain that people that are allergic to it would be in if they suffered similar results as me. Imagine daily needles into the effected disc or discs to drain them. YUK. ***

I do hope any side effects are minimised and they find something as simple as an injection to cure all of us of our back pain. Wouldnt that be great. It would make somebody very wealthy I imagine - the point of Mark's notes on the first post I guess