View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM

Default my discectomies

A full open discectomy on L5S1 in '89 and recovery was slow but very progresssive. I was off work for 3 months, returned part time until 6 months, then full time. Started light working out at 6 mo. and most pain was gone by this time. This surgery was successful in that the pain reduction was progressively obvious and activity level progressively ongoing. Sitting was an activity that was incredibly improved~ normal even by about 3 mo. post op.

With this surgery I felt much improved and was back at activity levels I hadn't had for years and years prior to. Did it last? No.. L4 went several years after this.

2nd discectomy in '92 was at L4 and was a percutaneous discectomy. Immediate results were great but went downhill after 1-2 weeks and had significantly increased pain to the torturous level so surgery was a huge arse flop/failure horrendous f'k up! So it did not work and it took a very long time to get back to anything near normal activity because it killed me to even be on my feet/upright at all but I forced myself to go back to work part time even tho much of the time I felt like I'd rather be not alive.

Took years after this 2nd surgery to get rid of most of residual pain symptoms~ 5 years. By this time I developed more advanced DDD, L5S1 had bulged again, and on and on...

I've had a number of surgeries more recommended~ in 2000 a 3 level lumbar global fusion~ didn't have. In 2003 a two level lumbar ADR~ didn't have. In 2006 an ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1~ didn't have.

Currently I can walk alot and even now sit quite more socially which I think is due to a very long haul with L5S1 finally fusing on it's own. But still have low back pain, still take pain medication and haven't worked for 9 years now. The 2nd spine surgery really did a number on my head re being afraid of more surgery. In fact if I were one to diagnose myself with mental conditions I'd say I have post traumatic stress syndrome related to my failed 2nd spine surgery in terms of fear of more surgery.

Will your surgery work for you??? Hope so. Will you need more spine surgery? Hmmm.. well it seems that many of us just can't stop at one!

So my advice is to progress at your own speed as you feel you can. Don't push yourself at first in terms of PT/working out. Get your regular routine down first re getting around and being up/active without forcing your body/back into any extraneous activitiy levels.

Walking is what I recommend and increasing as able. Sit as tolerated and don't push it. Be mindful of your spine and allow the area to recover vs. rebulge. Take the full time off of work that you are able without pushing yourself back to full time~ Good luck

Last edited by Maria; 10-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.