View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 AM

I agree with most of what you say.

I take an increased amount of glucosamine as well as multi vitamins, calcium with vitamin D (to help body absorb the calcium), fish oil (instead of aspirin, fish oil is a blood thinner too)

Find somewhere local to do Clinical Pilates. It must be on the Refformer Machine not on the floor or mats. Clinical Pilates is recommended here before and after spinal surgery. I have met many people doing it when I was there post op who swear it has kept them off the operating table and strengthened their backs and core and body to the point they no longer need the surgery for pain provided they keep up the clinical pilates. They all see my surgeon and he is supportive of the program.

Dont go into any surgery for the relief of pain. It will most likely not give you the level of relief you want for you to call the op a success. It may even give more pain. Surgery should only be used to fix spinal defects. Most surgeons wont tell you that the surgerywill reduse your pain by x%. They normally say they think you will be x% better, structurally fixed etc. I bet no surgeon gives a guarantee on pain relief from surgery.

Be prepared for depression which comes from the time it takes to get what seems is nowhere sometimes. You can feel pretty low at times, desperate even.

And lastly, keep fit. The body will go downhill very fast if yo plan to lay around all day. It may give your disc time to heal by not agravating it, but it will be stuffed again when you try then rid your excess weight you will gain, and also you will need a lengthy time to recover from the several years of doing nothing. Get support from a trained clinical pilates person and they can help you maintain your 'rest' as well as keep you strong and fit without overstressing your spine etc.