Thread: My t-spine
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 AM

I initially read that thoracic spine herniations were not common.....until i read this MRI study of 90 random people with no spine pain history or symptoms.

"Magnetic resonance imaging of the thoracic spine. Evaluation of asymptomatic individuals"

Over 50% of the people had t spine disc degeneration, tears, or bulges but never have had any pain and were therefore unaware.

interestingly a lower % of ppl under 40 had disc tears than over 40. If tears don't heal then a higher % of >40yo should have them.

I imagine the figures would be even higher for incidence of lumbar disc injury in general population.

I guess the answer is if MRI shows a problem there is no need to worry provided u are fortunate to have no symptoms, which excludes us members here.

The incidence of injury also makes it hard for me to believe genetics is the major cause of disc problems. A light-moderate active daily life with good posture and no adverse stress or strain on spine probably is key to no problems through life but must start from childhood. Is a pity there is no education about it.