View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Do you have any symptoms of metal allergies, or other allergies for that matter? I can't wear most jewellery, and I have recently developed a multitude of food and drug allergies. So when someone on a forum suggested that I have this metal allergy test done, I decided it was money well spent.

The surgeon who was supposed to put in several Maverick discs last week had a change of heart, and now I have to figure out how to get the M6 without losing everything I own. The surgery last week would have been covered by insurance. Now...I really don't know what is going to happen. It isn't available here yet because of regulations.

If you feel that you want to have the allergy testing, just as insurance, you can PM me for details, or just contact Rush University in Chicago. I have heard of one other patient who had no previous symptoms and still had reactions to an implant. But it isn't hard and fast, just another person's story.

My surgeon did tell me about a conference he was at last May, and there were reports of four spine patients who had revision surgery because of metal allergies. That's why he was so careful about my nickel allergy.

While the test isn't cheap, it certainly beat the alternative. Now I have no other options; I have to have the M6, no matter what the pros and cons are. I am considering asking for fusion at the bottom level, then the two artificial discs above that in the lumbar, to reduce the excess movement that has been brought up. But I guess the final decision is the in the hands of the surgeon, whoever that may be.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.

Last edited by Katie; 10-29-2009 at 06:53 PM.