View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 AM

Default re forteo/autofusion

My original injury was in 1982 and I think the discectomy in '89 at the L5S1 level plus time brought about the onset of autofusion over a long period of time. I actually started to feel better somewhat around 2005 ( 2 level ADR was authorized via WC in 2003 trials but the trial closed and in between 2003-2006 I was in process of trying to get ADR 2 level authorized again. By the time I was seen in 2006 a CT scan of showed moderate facet arthopathy at L5S1 so it was recommended by several surgeons here in US to go with fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4. I never liked the idea of fusion and had felt much worse in the past so decided to wait. Whether that was an overall good move or not I'll never know tho at least things have been pretty stable over the last few years.

I didn't actually start the Forteo until 9 months ago so it had no actual bearing upon my feeling better that I know of and in fact the first few months I was on it I felt worse with generalized body aches and sluggishness. Hopefully it's doing what it's supposed to~

I strongly feel I'd want vertebroplasty available (by a skilled surgeon utilizing this) if I were having ADR done but it's not available here in the US so that's what I was holding out for more or less.

I can surely understand your reasoning re not waiting and risking the further degenerative changes that will likely occur not to mention worsening of osteoporosis. I've really not wanted fusion done so I'm pleased that it appears I've autofused at L5S1 and feel better than worse~ maybe L4 will do the same in the near future (one can only hope).

BTW~ I walk alot so I was quite surprised that my BMD took such a nose dive in a 2 year period of time. I think it was mostly the estrogen withdrawl being that I'm 55 and postmenopausal since age 50 (and didn't do any estrogen replacement therapy).

Last edited by Maria; 11-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.