View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks for posting that Mark. It's 3am, the nurse woke me up, and I can't sleep so I decided to give an update.

I am feeling much better post-op from this surgery than any other surgery thus far. I was up and walking around with relative ease two hours after surgery. The burning in my shoulder blade and left arm are still there. I can get slight relief from this by pulling my shoulder down. This leads me to think that the pain is not coming from c7-t1, but it is still very early and I know that it will take some time. It's weird though because the surgeon was very surprised that I had the pain.

The massive pain that ran up the back of my neck to my head is probably 80-90% reduced. It is so much easier to turn my head and it no longer feels like I am going to pass out every time I do. Not doctor believed that this was coming from C7-T1 although I was certain of it. I also believe that there were some muscles that were spasmed in which the occipital nerve ran through. I think I was suffering occipital neuralgia because of it.

This morning I was getting some fasciculations in my left lat and the pain had returned a little bit, but not badly and it could have been from a sleep position. Last night for the first time in over two years I was not terrified to try to go to sleep. The pain trying to breath when sleeping has been so bad that I would have severe panic when I would get tired. I also did not have nightmares because of the pain last night which is another first.

All in all I feel much better, but I am taking it with a grain of salt and know that I have a long road ahead. I will be getting discharged around 8 or so and it really feels nice to be able to go straight home and not fly across country. Only time will tell but I am encouraged, and hungry. I ate two dinners last night, lol. I guess it is because there was no pain when my chest/stomach expanded.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09