View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jamie5136
Default Chairs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
There are some chairs at Relax the Back store you might want to try out altho they were mostly over $1000 so then I heard about a lounge chair like version at Home Depot that was on sale for $69 and brought it home and it would have been great for semi reclining and working on my laptop but it was just a bit too big for the space I wanted to put it in so I had to bring it back. Perhaps if you google Relax the Back store you can pull up the link and see the chairs they have where you lie back and your legs are elevated at the knee so it keeps your back supported in a flat position and raises legs at knees taking pressure of the low back.

I think if I were going to work for someone I would have to have a chair like that for computer work (if I wanted to recline) and then a standing station if I were going to stand part of the time and I'd try switching positions as long as standing didn't create a problem.

I now also have a cervical disc bulge and have to pamper my neck as well when working at the computer so that's sort of a drag tho I just try to work with things making my own adaptive type of situations after seeing some of the things out there for people with disabilities that are working that I cannot afford.

Your situation does sound somewhat promising since you're able to hike well and hopefully you will eventually be able to sit again as well. I know I said the same thing as you with regard to wishing it were the other way around as I so missed being able to sit in libraries, on planes, in movies, at the theater/plays, and on and on however I'm thankful for how good I do feel finally and for what I can do comfortably these days.

And no, I did not have ADR. I was slated for a 3 level global fusion back in 2000 and didn't want to have that and pursued trying to get ADR surgery thru WC and in 2003 a 2 level ADR surgery was approved in a trial at UCSF but they stopped the trial before my surgery date and then it wasn't until 2006 that surgery was authorized for me again however by then it was an ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1.

I am afraid of fusion. Probably unreasonably so however I've waited so many years now since my original injury it appears L5S1 has autofused finally per my OSS and my symptoms are not as severe as they used to be so I'm quite pleased. Also I think the autofusion accounts for why I can now sit at least socially or for like an hour or so without looking like I have ants in my pants.
Well, I can hike, but for some reason, sitting feels like someone is taking a hot poker and driving it up my tushie or lower spine. I hate to be so graphic, but that is how it feels. I can't find a standing chair, and Relax the Back does not have one. The Stance chair company is no longer making their chair, which would have been perfect. I have also been looking at a Zero Gravity chair, but they are so expensive. And, oddly enough, out of desperation, I thought about getting an inversion table that is seated and using that as a chair. It is just like a regular inversion table but has a chair on it and it has 6 different positions, but it is not designed to be an office chair. I get so frustrated! I am so sorry to hear about your neck. May I ask you a private question? Are you on disability or are you supported by your husband? I was thinking about going on SSI, but I hear it is hard to get for sitting pain and then if you get it, you get paid almost nothing; not enough to survive. You don't have to answer, just wondering.