View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Default re fusion when it's the only option

Of course I agree with what Dale has stated however I myself have waited so long to do anything that my facets are now showing degeneration that is supposedly contraindicated with ADR or so my OSS said on my last lumbar xray. Of course L5S1 has autofused so I don't see any reason to undo what has been naturally done and try to give the area more ROM when I think it feels better with less (the change I've noticed over the last few years).

So currently I have a disrupted L3 with anular tear and L4 is a definate pain generator on discogram (L5 was the worst previously). Seems like my current choice based on what my OSS stated would be a 2 level fusion at the very least. Someone else (other surgeon here or abroad) may have a different opinion.. not sure. I think I'd like to see the guy in La Jolla again (the Neurosurgeon) if I were thinking multi level fusion.

I just can't imagine myself having less pain with fusion tho then again I have 2previous back surgery probs which you do not have allan and at least this much could bode in your favor if nothing else.

re fusion being good for radiculopathy tho not for low back pain perhaps it has to do with cleaning up around the involved nerves and freeing them up re radiculopathy but then creating a more fixed limiting ROM for the lumbar spine plus and creating that domino sort of effect re next level up having to handle/accomodate new ROM adaptations, weight bearing load of existing discs and *stuff* like that.

What contributions have the Euro docs given you ans or is multi level fusion your only option to date?

Last edited by Maria; 12-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.