View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Work Comp

Okay, - Lets see - to get the ball rolling here --- I can relate to this as a work comp patient. However, my injury and ADR surgery was prior to FDA approval of any of the ADR's.

In my case, I felt that work comp was in a rush to place me in what they call MMI (maximum medical improvement). Pushing to have a functional capacity exam performed to determine percentage of disability. The doc was trying to trick me into going through the functional capacity exam and have me sign the documents that I would agree that this was the percentage level of permanent disablity. - They did not inform me that going through this would cut off my work comp benefits at the time. Nor did they inform me that I qualified for lifetime benefits under work comp related to my back. Most of the jobs involved lifting - I was unable to lift anything over 10 pounds. - Also, they would not give me a copy of my pateint rights - so that I would know what I was or was not entitled to. I had to do all the research on my own in pain, drugged up - etc.

I found out through forums like this prior to going through the functional capacity exam that this was a "trap" that once going though and signing those documents - I would be forced to find a permanent job within 30 days I believe within the hospital I worked for or have my "employment relationship severed" with them. Needless, I refused this functional capacity exam and any paperwork that went with it. Fought like hell and won my case with HR regarding job placement and did end up with a desk job. But, like I mentioned had to fight like hell....Another nurse that was a cervie, went through a similar process as myself - but went through the functional capacity exam. She signed the papers as they pertain to the exam and was cut a check (measly check at that) and told her case was closed because she was at MMI and the check was her "compensation"...

I have to do some more thinking here - but it is at least a start.

Poncho