View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 AM

Default Charite Survivor

I have just now stumbled across this site.
I had the Charite implanted Jan 2005 and then it slipped out of place within 2 months, resulting in a failed attempt at revision by Dr. Spann (initial surgen) here in Austin Tx. After a few days in ICU ,when they could get me into a wheelchair, I flew to Baltimore MD. and Dr. McAfee and Dr. Saidy were able to go back in from the lower groin and up to the L4-L5, remove the Charite, place in the BAK fusion device and then flip me over to go in from my backside and insert rods.
To add insult, I incurred a torn rotator cuff and Brachial Neuritis in my right shoulder, severed Illiac vein in my left leg, requiring wearing compression hose, and permanent, shall I say, "romantic" dysfunction. All this liked to have killed me. I sure wish I had opted for fusion, it's a hard road but I am lucky and still able to hold a job. It's a struggle to get through the week and keep my pain hidden until I can get home, but I do.
Walking has been my salvation and rehabilitation.
I am wondering if there are any other Charite survivors on this site.
From reading other stories here, my heart goes out, I could just cry, I am not the only one traumatized, violated, and then just cast aside.
I am angry at the Charite people for what I am now discovering about their greed guided attempt to be the first to market, not doing the proper amount of research to optomize this ADR before marketing it to the public.
I haven't seen many Charite listings so I hope this means others are not being duped by them.

Thanks for listening, I feel a bit better.