View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by become View Post
If there's a 'moral' to this story, it would be that you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking that your back is normal, even if you feel great.
Nicely said, Bruce... Thanks for joining us.

While some people experience periods of living normal lives, for many of us, remission means that we live in less pain that we used to experience. Some activities that used to be taboo are now OK. But what I frequently see (and have experienced personally, when we talk about being 'normal' again, we are still mostly disabled. We still limit our activites severely. We still live in fear of that movement, slip, lift, turn or whatever is going to put is back into spinal hell. We know it's coming.

If you were 80% disabled and you feel better and move to 50% disabled.... that starts to seem a lot like being normal. However, 50% disabled is still substantially disabled. Some patients have made a serious mistake in undergoing a risky surgery because they won't accept minor pain and minor disablity... they think that they can go do the big surgery and just be normal. I've also seen many patient who accept the most unbelievable disability levels, even though they are excellent candidates for surgery.

This is beginning to sound like that 'am I bad enough for surgery' discussion. Enough rambling... Thanks everyone... nice discussion.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org