View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to jamie5136
Default L5-S1 ADR Revision...subsidence; Germany

As most people know, I had a failed 3 level disc replacement by Dr. B in Germany. I am in much worse pain and it is worsening... My discs started to subside, but he injected me with cement all all levels accept S1, so I have superior subsidence VERY badly. For the discounted price of about 25k in US dollars, Dr. B will do a posterior DSS surgery (although that can be done by Pettine in Colorado) for much less. I have awful sitting pain and now I have pain in my legs, so I assume this subsidence (which was on early x-rays, but Dr. B never did review them) is causing it. I had some sitting pain pre surgery, but it is much worse now. Why? So, anyway, Dr. Blumenthal at TBI suggests fusing up my spine on top of all the ADR's, even though only one is bad.... L3-L4 is subsided, but the cement is holding it, even though it is not perfect.
Now the question is to leave it in or take it out. I hear all types of thoughts, but not one story of someone on here who has done one or the other. I know the risks, I know about Dr. Regan (good and some very bad stuff) and I know of Dr. Pimenta.... so hard to contact both.
I just think leaving this in (Pro-Disc L) is not a good idea and I would hate to do an "easy" surgery that will just leave me in worse pain or no change. And, to be honest, if I died on the table, I would not really care as the pain and misery I have now is horrible. So, I don't care if it is painful or dangerous. It is just one level and the lowest level. I just don't want to leave it in, simply because it is the "easy" thing to do.
Does anyone have any real experience doing either?

I am so miserable and the life I had before me as a young'ish woman is over. The ADR has destroyed my life and it seems nobody cares.

Please help..

P.S. I have had many private messages of people having horrible experiences with Dr. B. This makes me so sad as mine was bad too. He added insult to injury by overlooking this subsidence and then wanting to charge me so much to "fix" it... but will a one level posterior DSS allow me to sit or lay on my back... because I can't now.

The odd thing is, is that I can walk for miles... I have not felt like it in weeks/months, but I can walk fine.. my legs are starting to hurt as it my upper back, so I feel I must do something quickly.

I have full mobility and do yoga, but I can't sit and my whole body hurts... I can't take pain pills because they cause insomnia and I fear anti-depressants as they also cause insomnia.

Help please.