View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Default Advice please re: meds

Hi Gang. I started on Avinza 30 mg. and wow, what a dream: I feel no morning pain, can sleep at night, etc. - and even think! Then, ~ 1.5 months later I needed 45 mg., and now am on 60 mg. My internist sent me to a very tough PM doc/interventionist who insisted that I detox or she'll taper me down. It's true: I've developed a tolerance. She's concerned about opiate hyperalgesia - a topic that drowned me tonight in crash research. One UCLA doc said that I'm inoperable b/c of extensive DDD and that my facets (everywhere? getting him to say *why* was like pulling teeth) block my foramens that cause heavy shin pain.

So, school starts Monday and I'm seeing a new PM doc who might raise my doses but this can't go on indefinitely. I also have read countering stuff on opiate hyperalgesia that says it can increase pain from the primary source (here, my back) or be like a RSD thing and/or cause major radiating pain.

I am open to advice. Should I detox, would BC pay for this (I am waiting for UCLA to call/email back), try a higher dose or so, then reconsider, move to methadone - or what? Suboxone? If so, then what if I have acute/urgent pain? Wait two days? Gee, if only everything was easy, huh?

I am truly confused am in a true jam w/no easy answers.

That's why I'm asking you guys for advice!!

Personally, I lived on Vicodin and Celebrex for years but the highs/lows, intense morning pain left me wiped out during the day and I could barely function.

I wish I could say the check will be in the mail.

Hope I get sage advice in what I think is a very individualized, messy subject.

Begging, chubby, and crawling..

ans