View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Default Bernards back blog

N&B,
Welcome. Sorry for the reason to be here tho it's why the rest of us are here as well.

I injured my back when I was 28 working in Neurosurgery(RN) and had episodic disabling pain that would make me bedridden for at least 2-4 weeks at at time. Findings per CT scan back then were sketchy however it appeared to be probs from L3-L5S1.

Nothing was offered really in terms of treatment back then other than PT until in '89 my back went out once again and I told my GP I could'nt live like this. So a referral to a new Neurosurgeon was made and surgery was performed at L5S1 (discectomy) and it was successful. This happened 7 years post my original injury.

However the dominoe effect likely had taken place and L4 became problematic more than a year later and so I had a percutaneous discectomy done at this level. Unfortunately the surgery had a much much worse effect re pain and disability than previous to surgery. Pain went from episodic to chronic and much more intense re burning down thru my buttocks and lower extremities at all times.

I forgot to mention that sitting had long been problematic for me before 1st surgery and definately after 2nd one until pretty recently with an autofusion of L5S1 (no further surgery but finally after many years this level apparently fused on it's own. I've been offered more surgeries but have not felt the need of late to have another one "yet". We shall see.

I could go on and on with my story tho it's got so much to it that I really get tired just writing it as I sit (or even thinking back on it)...

Suffice to say that I'm very sorry to read about the lack of progress on your spinal diagnosis and treatment and wondering if you are looking into requesting opinions here in the states and/or other countries? Just opinions if not treatment...

I was looking at your medications and think that perhaps in the way of pain managment you are not being well managed on the medications you're on re pain as I was bedridden for nearly a year when I finally stopped working back in 2000 (yes my life was drastically changed by the back journey as well like many others) and amazingly being prescribed an opioid medication which I was previously opposed to did allow for me to be much more functional or at least drive myself to doctor's appts. and wait vs. have my husband cart me around lying down in the back of his SUV.

Re not having surgery yet this sounds like a positive point to start from (virgin spine vs. multi surgerized spine) so even tho life is difficult hopefully if and when the time arrives for a surgery (whichever one would be best for you) the fresh spine aspect will be on your side.

Good luck with the progress of your case.

Last edited by Maria; 01-25-2010 at 01:36 PM.