View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Regarding discography, when i read Carragee's paper I couldn't help but think of the many symptom free 'healthy' persons who have voluntarily undertaken the procedure in the past to help advance medical research and understanding. That a percentage of these persons will develop accelerated disc degeneration possibly leading to incapacity and/or spine surgery due to the procedure is tragic. Possibly they would have grounds for legal action, if they could afford it..

Carragee won an Award from eminent persons for the paper so I don’t think it can be discounted. Also he has no conflict of interest whereas Dr Derby benefits financially from discography. As there could possibly now be an increased risk of persons taking legal action if they have reasonable grounds to believe their spinal condition is result of a procedure which was described as safe or where risks were not disclosed providers of the service will naturally become defensive. Interesting how other posters here have mentioned actual personal adverse experiences.

One might wonder why Carragee would investigate the modern practice using fine needles, which is often described as safe. My guess is that with his vast research experience he suspected what the outcome would be from the outset. Us sufferers are indebted to people like him.

I wonder why Dr Derby, as a major provider, did not see or suspect any adverse consequences as identified by Carragee. Use of finer bullet tip needles sounds like a good idea and one could also wonder why this has not been the practice for some time. As larger needles have been previously established as a risk then surely use of the finest possible bullet tip needles would be a logical choice as providing the safest possible procedure for patients.

One would need to read Carragee’s full paper to see to what extent age, genetics, and any existing degeneration influenced the association between discography and accelerated disc damage/degeneration, assuming he addressed these factors.

I ’m surprised they don’t also closely consider post procedure activity (I assume they don’t). If two gymnasts underwent the procedure and one kept training each day but the other rested for a few weeks and avoided bending, twisting, lifting, I suspect the former would be at much greater risk of causing tiny tears at periphery of needle hole.

Personally I would avoid discography, unless absolutely no choice. Carragee has identified new unacceptable risks that add to existing risks regarding a procedure of questionable value.

The Discography Controversy: Discussion - Discussion Continued

FR Discography