View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jamie5136
Default L5S1 Revsion on Subsided Disc; need advice

After all of my opinions and finding out a bone density was not done on my spine prior to my three level ADR with the Pro-Disc L in Germany with Dr. Bertagnoli, I have had a few doctors say in order for a full fusion to take place, the disc must come out and then the others say leave it in to fuse it, but, I have not heard one good story with this configuration. My level is L5S1, so the entry is easier and the disc is severely subsided (not sure if it is the cause of my sitting/laying/leg pain) so, indeed it would be ideal to do it this way, but I have also heard good/bad about this from not fusing to cutting veins, but again, mine is the lowest level and not close to the great vein.... Dr. B said to "start" with a a fusion over the ADR and "if" that does not work, then do an anterior approach, but from what I understand, if the posterior is a failure, trying to go in and remove the posterior hardware again to put a new system in and trying to remove a perhaps partially fused disc, is MUCH harder. I have friends in Germany/Norway where they have their own forums, such as this, and I have heard many failure stories of fusing on top of a failed ADR. Does anyone have any experience with this or know anyone? Also, if I do choose an extraction doctor, I know of only a couple, Dr. Leary and Dr. Regan. One is young and supposedly good, but has never removed a sunken pro-disc and one has a bit of a reputation. Ideas? I need to do something soon, but am super afraid I will end up worse than I am now. Finding someone thorough and kind would be nice.

I have a friend who did some Fibrin sealant with success, but that is more of a patch job, but she had success with it. So, minimally invasive is the best.

Thanks!

Mark has been very helpful on this journey, but real life experience would help! I live in Dallas, but would travel anywhere in the USA... just not out of the country. I can't afford it anymore after the first surgery.

Ideas?