View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Red face Thank You

Dale,

Thank you so much for the response and information. I will take a look at the link and see about contacting Mark. This is a really tough situation for me since the injury was work related and is being covered by Federal Workman's Comp. It may be well worth the money to pay out of pocket for the services in finding a very reputable and highly experienced surgeon who has worked with patients that have experienced some of the complications that I am having. I am really reluctant to have a multi-level fusion as I explained in my original post. In my best interest, it would be best to have the least amount of fusion necessary to achieve a reduction in pain. Since I am only 40 years old I am a little cautious about a fusion especially if I live for another 30 years... So far I have had two surgeons state that I need to have the fusion but I would like to see if there are other options that may be a little less drastic. It has also been recommended that I try a spinal stimulator trial since this may be a very useful diagnostic tool. I am just learning about the spinal stimulators and have talked to my ortho and PM doctor about them. My PM doctor thinks that a trial may be very useful in proving that the pain is being caused by nerves as it will probably not be effective in reducing my pain level if the majority of my pain is from the inflamatory response that I am having due to the artificial disc. I am really concerned about any procedure and want the least invasive procedure possible. In my original thread I forgot to mention a key complication that I have been having. My right leg completely gives out...no feeling...no control over it whatsoever. This happens about 3 to 4 times a month and happens without any warning. Needless to say, it causes me to fall to the floor or back onto the couch it happens when I am trying to stand up. It only takes less than a minute to regain feeling and control in my leg but it is causing a great deal of concern for myself and my surgeon. As you can see there are multiple symptoms that we are dealing with and it is a very complicated situation for any ortho or neurosurgeon to figure out. This is why I am being very persistant in finding a very good neurosurgeon in the Western KY or Nashville TN area before we move back home. The link and information you sent will be very helpful with this process. Again, my wife and I are extremely grateful for the information you sent!

Take Care,
Greg