View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 AM

There have been serveral doctors involved since the fall and surgeries happened in Las Vegas . Original MRI's showed everything was OK with C-Spine, T11/12 moderate bulging (dont remember the extent right now without looking at the MRI report), T6/7 protruding into the spinal canal by 3mm, Herniated L4/5 and other minor bulding discs in T-Spine and L-Spine. Went through the injections with no relief. Discogram on L3/4 with moderate pain, L4/5 only held 5 PSI before disc gave way and die escaped, L5/S1 produced minimal pain (dont remember at what PSI though). There were other complications from the second surgery to my Right Meniscus (which was damaged from the fall). After knee surgery I had Turniquet Palsy which caused complete loss of muscular function in Right leg for 3 1/2 weeks. That is a whole seperate story in itself. Back to the problems with my spine.... about 3 months after my L4/L5 ADR surgery the surgeon released me from all light duty restrictions. I took advantage of the fact that I was feeling GREAT and transfered with the Federal Governmenbt to Colorado. About 1 1/2 months after I transfered here was when the nightmare revealed its' ugly head again. Seeing a new orthopedic surgeon now since I transfered...he had nothing to do with the ADR Surgery. He ordered multiple MRI's which showed the loss of disc height, CT Mylogram which showed the same plus inflamation at the levels above and below (I do not have the reports in front of me so I may be forgetting some of the findings). Had LSI and Facet injections as a diagnostic.... Facet injections at L3/4 produced pain so bad that I could not hold back the tears and it also caused my legs to start curling up/bending at the knees off the table. They had to hold my legs down on the table. L4/5 injections did not do much if I recall, and L5/S1 had relief on right side but terrible increase in pain on left side. EMG/NCV showed some sort of neuropathy on the right side but everything looked fine on the left side.
The pain MGT Doc, Ortho Surgeon, and SECOP (second opinion) Doc all agree that the spinal stimulator will not work but it has been suggested by the Federal Workman's Comp nurse that it be tried as a diagnsotic tool and to rule out its' effectiveness before fusion be performed. I have done a lot of research on the stimulators and I have no faith that it will work BUT in the unlikely event that it does work then I will be the happiest person in the work.
I do think that our move to KY to be close to my family for help and support may be one of our best decisions since I can now pick another surgeon (hopefully I can find a good Neurosurgeon) who will be impartial and a fresh set of eyes on my condition. This is why I am actively trying to get good recommendations from surgeons in that area. I am not opposed to spending some money out of pocket to get another second opinion as well. This is why I was very pleased from the original response with the links and also stating Mark as a contact.
NOW that I have this all said....my true feelings are a little different than what I have been told by the Docs. I honestly feel that the T-Spine discs...more importantly the T6/7 might be causing some of the issues I am having with the pain, weakness, numbness, etc post surgery. T6/7 was never followed up on since the original surgeon had me thinking everything was being caused by the bad L4/5. BUT now that I have lost feeling in the middle section of my back extending out towards my ribs, more pronounced on the right side and not going all the way to the front section, stabbing pains in my ribs and a feeling like a band is around my front section makes me wonder if this needs to be investigated as maybe a cause for some of the increased pain, weakness, etc in my legs. I also have really bad pains in my back that are really pronounced around where the T6/7 and 11/12 are located. The pain is like there is a rock or marble pressed between these discs...it hurts really bad and is so pronounced that I have my wife put her finger right on the area of pain and it is right between the vertabrae.
OK....I am really suffering from the increased pain from sitting in front of the computer. I need to step away for a bit and take some meds before the pain gets so bad that I will not be able to sleep one second tonight. BTW, sleep is another HUGE issue as I only get a total of about 2 to 3 hours of broken sleep at night. Usually about 15 to 30 minute intervals. URGGGG....gotta go

Take Care,
Greg