View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Default ADR Revision Opinion

Quick recap, I had (2) level (C4/C5, C5/C6) cervical ADR (5/2009) at Stenum. Single level ADR (C3/C4) in the States.

I am now 10 months out from Stenum surgery and 10 weeks from US surgery. At the time of my C3/C4 surgery my surgeon and I expected there could be a space issue at C5/C6 right side foramen. However based on my symptoms we played conservative and left it alone and only did C3/C4 diue to spinal cord compression. Well now it's obvious there is an issue at C5/C6 right side. Diagnostic testing matches symptoms with no other levels as possible involvement.

So here's my problem, do I do a revision surgery to fusion at C5/C6 or do I go thru more conservative methods hoping for a level of relief? My surgeon said although small, there may be a tiny bit of room for the nerve root. However it may be that there is a "tethering" effect going on that when I move or stretch my arm it aggravates the nerve on the osteophyte.

The risk with ADR revision other than the obvious surgery risks is that it is never a good idea to keep handling the nerves. So revision always carries the added risk of nerve damage.

I appreciate any feedback or similar stories with outcomes.