View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Default re bone density drugs and bone necrosis

I've been advised to have two implants done and was also advised by the Oral surgeons to go off the Actonel for at least 6 months to a year before the implants.

I was so worried about one tooth needing to be replaced as it's up front pretty much I actually stopped my Actonel for nearly 5 months. Also had some ongoing GI issues that made it hard for me to take anything on an empty stomach or wait a half hour to have something to eat, even if a cracker.

Meanwhile I asked the Oral Surgeon when could I go back on this medication and he said " I don't know, ask your GP".

I talked to the GP about and she was mad because she said "look at your hip bone density values and tell me that you don't think saving your hips is more important than that tooth implant"...

Well, I also think Mark may have made this point to me regarding prioritizing my spinal osteopenia and hip osteoporosis re the tooth implant if I recall correctly~

One of the Dental hygienists told me that Boniva actually has the greatest propensity for this bone necrosis.. I asked her about stats and she said that's what the dentists in the group had told her.

Need more info on this but truly if I had to replace my teeth completely I think that's far easier to do than bilateral hip replacements after 2-3 spine surgeries.

I'm hoping I didn't seriously negatively affect my BMD these past months w/o taking the Actonel regularly.