View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Administrator

There are a few things I want to explain about this trip and my recent activities. First... Indoor skydiving is relatively safe, but what you see me doing comes from 10 years and 850 jumps experience as a "belly flier". That's what we did in the 80's and 90's. It was either small RW - relative work in teams of 4, 8, 10 and occasional 20-way competition; or 'blots'. Blots are the big-ways that you've seen me post about. In the late 80's and early 90's, the fringe groups started skysurfing on snowboards, then sit-flying, then the freestyle that was the predecessor of the advanced freestyle that you see the instructors doing.

I'm quite sore, now 4 days later. Most of it is the 'good sore' that you experience after your first days skiing back for the new season, or the even more intense soreness after your first time climbing. My shoulders are still quite sore from stretch position of that arch, enhanced by 120mph wind. There is a small component of my t-spine flared up, but only went back up to 40mg/day Oxy from 30. Note that just a few weeks ago, I was on 60. I also take some tyelenol, aspirn, advil once or twice a day. Even now, I'm good enought that I can forget to take my meds on time... that's great, but not so great that I don't get hit big-time for an hour or two after I've forgotten the meds for a few extra hours.

So, don't everyone run to the wind tunnels because it is just floating on air. However, if you are relatively fit and you are not recent post-op... accept the risks and give it a try.

On the first flight, I was supposed to wait for the instructor to get comfortable with me in the air. I coud not contain myself. I was surprised that after 12 years, I could turn in place without wandering around and could simply 'think' my right knee to his left hand smoothly and accurately.

Regarding the soreness... my face still hurts from days of ear-to-ear grins!

YAHOOO!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org