View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Default re consultations

Wilsonia,
Glad you felt good about the consultations and that they were similar in recommendations..

I started w/episodic low back pain in '82, had first discectomy in '89/good results then more spine probs in '91 and second discectomy in '92 w/very bad failed results and start of chronic low back and lower extremity pain bilat.

Getting surgical opinions from 2001-2006 all recommending further surgery however meanwhile I had started low dose pain meds in 2001 and getting ESIs with excellent results every year w/exception of one year until now.

Since 2005 even tho my clinical picture has degenerated my actual pain levels are much less hence I have thus avoided further surgery.

Because of my very bad failed surgery and the residual increased pain it caused for 5 years post op I am not one to advocate surgery if something else works and it can be avoided however then again I did stop working in 2000 and I'm still on low dose pain medication every day and gabapentin for neuropathies.

The dramatic reduction of pain for me may have also come about because of natural autofusion of the L5S1 level after so many years. Personally I think this is it tho I have to say the ESIs still do wonders for my L4 level which still is problematic.

Good luck with your journey and I hope you continue to do so well! Be careful not to work yourself up into a flare up however as the steroid relief is coating the problem that still exists (this is from personal experience too many times!).