View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 AM

Here is info on fibrin injections. This info came from Spine Journal published proceedings (2009; 10S:105S) that are mentioned on the SpinalRestoration website:

This study used pig lumbar spines. To damage the discs, a 19G needle was used to remove 1 ml of nucleus material.

"Nucleotomy produced transient increases in IL-6 and TNF- at 3 weeks that were prevented by fibrin injection. For the no-treatment and fibrin-treated discs, stiffness and leakage pressure were less than control at 3 weeks. Stiffness returned to normal at 6 weeks for the fibrin-treated levels and at 12 weeks for the no-treatment levels. Disc proteoglycan content was less than controls at 3 and 6 weeks for the no-treatment and fibrin-treated levels. GAG content returned to normal at 12 weeks for the fibrin-treated levels, but not for degenerate discs. No adverse cellular reaction to fibrin injection was noted by histology."

I wonder how much less proteoglycan content was in the fibrin-treated levels, and I wonder how the fibrin treatment would fare against a torn disc (as the website states, Biostat "occludes annular fissures"). I don't believe such a claim can be substantiated by this trial.

The SpinalRestoration website mentions an unpublished document named "Fibrin sealant modulates the inflammatory response in intervertebral disc cells." If anyone can find this or any good info on this mode of treatment, please let me know. Thanks.