Thread: Reherniation
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Gil,
Sorry to hear of your prolonged suffering. Did you do anything in particular to cause the reherniation? It is my greatest fear. The only survey i could find stated that 10 out of 14 reherniations were reported to be caused by a particular event such as bending and lifting or driving over large bump or pothole.

IF your main symptom/s is from recent reherniation, and is bearable, you could try some months of conservative approach, to see if your body can reduce it and hopefully ease symptoms without cost, risk and worry of surgery. A lot of reherniations are at a different place on disc. If so I guess they should be approached same as a new herniation. Maybe your MRI shows if in same spot.

Never heard of the disc herniation dissolving injection. What chemical?
These injections have potential...
Minimally Invasive Oxygen-Ozone Therapy for Lumbar Disk Herniation -- Andreula et al. 24 (5): 996 -- American Journal of Neuroradiology

This study reports outcomes for various surgical approaches to reherniation, though carried out by a spine surgery dept so they could be glossing up the reporting on their own surgeries.
[A contrastive study of treating single level recu... [Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2008] - PubMed result

A different view below.
Lumbar instrumented fusion compared with cognitive... [Pain. 2006] - PubMed result
It's hard to find good long-term independent data on ADR.