Thread: Coccyx pain
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Default coccyx pain

I suffered from this for many years. Nearly the each time I had episodic back pain starting in the early '80's tho did get some relief after first discectomy on L5S1 in '89 however after percutaneous discectomy in '92 had chronic coccyxgeal pain that was so severe I avoided sitting altogether for many years.

I had ESIs from 2001 until currently and am on low dose opioid medicine one time/day plus Neurontin 1800mg/day and this has pretty much obliterated the pain in the coccyx unless I sit too long. Still I can now sit to have meals and be social, go out to functions where sitting is involved (tho usually not several hours in a row without a break and some residual pain afterwards).

I'd say tho compared to where I was 10 years ago it's like I don't have the problem except for this most recent activity which I posted about and that was I recently got a lighter weight bicycle (ride short distances) using the same seat as on the older heavier bike and my tailbone pain flared up again tho the presentation was much duller to start and I think would have not progressed had I not aggravated it further with sitting a bit too much this weekend.

Back in 2001 I had a very good Pain Managment doctor that worked with this pain as well as the piraformis pain and all the other pain (too many places to list) tho the coccyx and piraformis pain were the worst for quite some time. He used various modalities of therapy with quite a bit of soft tissue release, ultrasound, something a bit stronger than a TENS machine, the ESIs with the PM and the meds and it seemed after a year of everything combined the pain was much less.

I'll never really know if it was just "coincidental" as I had that pain chronically a good 7-8 years and then all of sudden got blasted with multiple modalities of therapy and finally some relief~

I'm grateful for the relief and while I don't want to give up bike riding I will give it up if it means recurrence of this type of pain.. however I will try a heavier bike again to see if that makes a diff before giving up riding again (hadn't ridden for years until about a year ago because of the pain that would transmit in that "delicate" area to low back).

Good luck with whatever you try!