Thread: Lyrica
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Gil, like Maria, I have taken Neurontin with good results and have never taken Lyrica. My understanding is that they are similar, but Lyrica has a lower side-effect profile FOR MOST PEOPLE. Some people get little benefit and too much side-effect from one, then have great results with others. I think that Lyrica is preferred as the 'newer better' drug. I am always skeptical about the way drug companies really push the new stuff, but most of the surgeons and pain management docs I know prefer starting with Lyrica (then moving to Neurontin only if Lyrica doesn't do the trick.)

I should mention that when I was on Neurontin (2000 - 2002), they were pushing HUGE doses with many people getting up to 3600mg/day or more. I usually took only 900mg (3 x 300mg) and went to 1200mg when things really flared up or when the doc recommended it to help with sleep. I never took the mega-doses that were recommended and the reason that I never ramped up to the high doses is because I did not like the brain fog that many of us get. I called it Morontin. A few times in the years I took it, I stopped because I was frustrated with the side-effects and the fact that I was still in pain. Every time I did that, it taught me how much it was really helping and it was worth it to tolerate the side-effects to get the benefits of the drug.

Good luck... let us know how it goes. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org