View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM

It is truly wonderful that Mark and Dr. Delamarter will be speaking about these issues and the value of ADR, but, from my experiences as a "provider," (a term invented by insurance companies to minimize my professional training), patient and victim of insurance companies, I am viewing the situation more helplessly and cynically. The expectation/hope that insurance companies will consider patients' feelings and the harmful effects of their decisions is just unrealistic; their decisions are based solely on financial considerations and minimizing their losses. The only way to influence their decisions is through financial impact and/or political impact but the insurance lobby is considerable and powerful. One example is State Farm's denial of Katrina claims and then after a considerable judgment again them, their decision to no longer insure homeowners in Mississippi.
Mark: Unless it involves information that is too personal, could you let us know on what basis the insurance company reversed its decision? Because "forewarned is forearmed," this information is potentially helpful to those of us who may be facing this situation. Thanks.